Author Topic: Old Wormy Osage Follow Along Finished!  (Read 28431 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Old Wormy Osage Follow Along
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2014, 11:35:21 pm »
Will do Don.  Hope to get some time on it next few days and I'll post em as I go.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

owlbait

« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2014, 03:28:11 pm »
Slim, would you mind sharing your thickness dimensions too? Thanks again for all info you've shared.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2014, 04:21:36 pm »
Owlbait, be happy to.  That is a measurement that is a bit difficult on this one due to all the character twists and turns.  The thickness changes all over the place.  It's also thinner now than it was this morning as I have been working on it and it will be thinner still by the time I'm done.  So with that as a qualifier, it is roughly....3/4" thick in the middle of the handle, 5/8" thick coming out of the handle, and 3/8" thick to the bends at the tips.  Hope that's what you needed.  Floor tiller is going good and I've got it on the long string as of a few minutes ago.  Good bit of meat still to come off but it's getting close.  Got me a helper today.  Curt (tipistuff) is doing all the modeling work today.

owlbait

« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2014, 04:59:39 pm »
Thanks again slim. I appreciate your knowledge. I really struggle with attempting to build bows but feel more comfortable when I have some ballpark figures and pictures to follow.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2014, 05:26:10 pm »
Glad that helps.  It is guys like yourself that I have aimed this at.  My knowledge and experience is within pretty narrow margins on this stuff.  I make self bows from staves, typically Bodark, but the wood list continues to grow.  In that little realm I'm competent, and sharing what I know about this art form and passing it along, it simply came thru me from all those that I have learned from.
One last thing, I will usually never measure the thickness.  The length and width are fairly static figures that are needed in planning the bow.  The thickness is dynamic in that it changes constantly, and cant be known until the bow is finished.  those numbers should get you in the ballpark though. 

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Old Wormy Osage Follow Along (27 inches)
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2014, 07:24:27 pm »
Well, I'm not finished, but I'm now down to some minor adjustments and finishing her up.  I tillered with a draw knife, rasp and a sanding block.  I and others have talked about the straight edge a good bit.  If you look at the first and second pic, It's drawn to about 10 inches early on.  I run the straight edge along the belly checking the gap.  If there is little or no daylight in an area I mark with a pencil in that or those areas.  If there is an area that bends too much, I will mark it as "don't touch".  The third pic shows the belly as I begin to scrape away the areas that I've marked.  I fix the bend in each limb and get the weight even in both at this time.  Once it's right, just keep increasing the draw length and keep it all nice and even.  A nice even arc is what I'm looking for and the gap tells me when I got it.  Slight bend thru the handle at full draw so the tiller is a bit elliptical.  Booger bear to tiller on this one as there are lot's of bends and kinks and twists, but she's gonna make a bow and I'm diggin' the looks of her.  Again, I gotta say thanks to Pearl on this one as his advice was spot on, on the crack (for lack of a better term).  Don't know about 5000 shots but I wouldn't bet against it.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2014, 07:55:16 pm »
Way to go Slim 8) Nice looking bend...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2014, 08:14:16 pm »
That's looking great Slimbob!  You've about got that puppy whipped.  I've been working on a similar bow.  It doesn't have near the character or history as yours does. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bushboy

« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2014, 08:41:13 pm »
nice bend on that one bob!looks real nice from here1
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2014, 08:48:00 pm »
Looks like your coasting to the finish line Slim, gonna be a nice one too. What kinda draw weight you looking at?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2014, 09:00:43 pm »
Haven't looked at the weight yet Greg.  I figure it's 45 lbs or so at 27 inches, maybe a bit more.  With all the issues on this puppy I kept it pretty lite.  I'll temper it and then weigh it.  It started out with 2 inches of reflex, and when I first unstrung it, it was 1.25 inches of reflex, so it's holding it's shape really well.  Enjoyed the build on this one as much as any I've done.  Lot's of challenges.  Thanks for compliments guys.

owlbait

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2014, 09:32:27 pm »
TwoThumbsUp! Thanks again Slim, for taking the time to post this. It should be a tremendous resource for the one I'm working in.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2014, 09:46:56 pm »
Way to get that one bending she sure looks great.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2014, 10:11:58 pm »
Sweeeeet!  Nice job.  Thanks for sharing the process! 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2014, 10:58:35 am »
Cool!  I was a bit concerned about the delam, but it seems to be a non-issue.  I haven't had any luck with those, but I always have to try it anyway!  Maybe I'll get lucky on the next one.  Its lookin good!  Josh