Author Topic: Old Wormy Osage Follow Along Finished!  (Read 28429 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Old Wormy Osage Follow Along Finished!
« on: January 01, 2014, 12:56:20 pm »
I won’t call this a build along, it’s just kind of a follow along really.  I found it interesting because of the state of the wood I started with.  My family and I spent a little time in North Texas over the Christmas holidays and 4 days of that were spent hanging out at Curtis Carter’s place in Pooleville (tipistuff).  We had planned in advance to cut some Elm and Mulberry while I was there and Saturday morning found us slogging thru the creek bottoms.  We found a few good Elm limbs we marked out and a stand of Mulberry as well.  We went back to the house to grab the saw and wrestled our boys away from the Xbox and all headed back out.  On the way we happened to walk across 2 very weathered staves just lying out in a clearing.  Curt said a young fellow had brought them out with the intentions of making a bow and just never did.  They have been laying out in the elements for the last 9 years or so, and yes they were Bodark.  Well, 2 Osage staves just waiting to be carried out beats the stuffing out of just about anything else in my book, right?  So we ditched the Elm and Mulberry for a later trip in the spring and hauled these 2 staves back to the house.  The interesting question for me was how deep the decay and worm holes went on these things.  Nine years lying in the dirt is a long time.  I’ve seen bows of Osage made from fence posts and the like, so I knew they should be ok at some level.  I’ve documented it all in case a few others might find it as interesting as I have.  It’s magical stuff!
BTW, yes that is a brand new Work Mate My honey got me for Christmas.  My other is about 18 years old and finally giving up the ghost.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:48:12 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Old Wormy Osage Follow Along
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 01:04:27 pm »
You can see in the first couple of pics the state of the exposed ring.  It feels like hard wood on the back, but lots of worm holes in it so I can’t be sure.  The bark had been removed.  After nearly a decade in the dirt, the decay was only skin deep.  Scratch the surface with the draw knife and it’s beautiful darkish orange wood just a millimeter deep but chocked full of worm holes.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 01:07:17 pm »
I started out and went 3 to 4 rings deep and still had worm holes, so I took another ring off.  I’m now 4 to 5 rings deep.  Most of the worm damage has been removed, but the black marks are little lateral trails left by the deepest Borer.  So, another ring should get it.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 01:09:58 pm »
6 rings deep as best I can tell, and I’ve got a pristine back.  That’s maybe ½ inch deep.  The wood could have been cut yesterday and you couldn’t tell the difference.  Not sure yet what I’m gonna do with it.  It’s 74 inches long and about 4 inches wide at the narrowest spot.  I can split it into 2 staves lengthwise or pop a belly split off of it. All comments, observations and suggestions are welcome.
 
I’ll update the thread as I progress……     

Offline RyanR

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 01:14:32 pm »
That's a really nice stave, especially for sitting outside for 9 years.

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 01:16:33 pm »
This will be good. I will follow with interest. Osage is an amazing wood for sure. I live in Illinois and have been around Osage all my life. There is no wood I can think of in my area that has the ability to resist decay over time like Osage . Used here for fencing. There is fence posts here still being used that are well over 50 years old.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 01:36:43 pm »
Ink and I found a very similiar osage hanging out across a dry creekbed...sawed it in half..its got some worm damage but i havent got into it yet...gonna follow this one close...keep it coming Slim!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 01:57:44 pm »
Wow Osage is amazing 9 years in the elements and still only skin deep decay hmm
I like osage

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 02:04:37 pm »
       I bought a bee keepers osage sign post that was said to be 100 years old. It was full of wood ants but I was still able to get down to good wood and make a bow. The ants did more damage to the core it seemed like. I had about 1/2" I had to take off the back then the wood was like new again. Amazing wood.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 03:29:21 pm »
I love these follow alongs.  To see what can be done with a piece of trash wood to so many people.  Looks like a great stave and a good find.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 04:02:16 pm »
( quote)   I can split it into 2 staves lengthwise or pop a belly split off of it. All comments, observations and suggestions are welcome.

If you are brave you could take a belly split first, and then split the rest down the center for a total of 3 staves.
Real nice looking sage tho. Good luck however you procede.
Steve Bennett

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 04:04:32 pm »
Now that's using your noodle.  May try that.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 04:26:11 pm »
Nice save Slimbob!  That wood has that wonderful burnt orange color.  I'll be watching this one.  Good luck with it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 05:12:19 pm »
   I would go for the three, I do that quite a bit with e ebay staves.

Offline curiousiam

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 05:48:35 pm »
Happy New Years, I'm new to the forum and I try to follow along about osage bows. Can't beat em short or long. This might not be the place to ask but I keep seeing the word "chrysal". Is there another term for this or am I just enept?