Author Topic: What Tree stand?  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

What Tree stand?
« on: December 30, 2013, 05:40:59 pm »
I have never hunted from a tree stand, I don't know anyone that hunts from a tree stand, around here. I see all the pics you guys put up and I want to try hunting that way here.
I do have a little bit of a fear of heights :o. I have been looking at the ladder stand or self climbing stands, as I will not be able to drill into the trees.  I don't want to spend an arm and leg for something I may never be able to use.(fear of heights). Let me know if I'm limiting myself looking at just these two types. I'd like to get your opinions, ideas (I will been looking into ground blinds also). please. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Marks

Re: What Tree stand?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 06:09:39 pm »
Around here you can find used climbing and ladder stands on craigslist for relatively cheap if you don't want to spend much but if not many people there use them then that may not work for you.

If you hunt where there are a lot of straight trunked trees then a climber can be very versatile because you can change trees/locations often with only one stand. You can even change which direction the stand faces on the tree at any time. You can climb how ever high or low (50'-6') you are comfortable with until you get used to it. With a fear of heights a climber might be intimidating while climbing up and down since you have to sit backwards    I prefer a climber. I use a Summit Viper and I like it very much. I can climb quickly and once you sit down there it a bar all the way around you.

Ladder stands are quick to get up and down out of. Its just like climbing a ladder. They are much less mobile but get a good one and mount it well and you will feel more stable most likely.

I'd say the key in your case is to buy a good safety harness that you feel safe in. I don't know what kind of territory you hunt but down here in the south on our property, not having a treestand really limits your options.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 06:31:30 pm »
Go with the climber, you'll be more mobile and they are pretty simple to use in my opinion. Aluminum is lighter but tends to cost more. I hunt with my loggy bayou climbers and love them! They don't make them anymore but can be found used online and are well built. Good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline RyanR

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 06:51:34 pm »
Summit makes very good climbers, I have been using mine for years. You can also find good deals on ladder stands right now with end of season sales. Its a really good time to looks for one. A 15 ft ladder stand is hard to beat. They are easy to get in safely and quietly.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 07:32:17 pm »
I switched from a climber to ladder stands.  Being short and wide, climbers aren't the easiest thing to operate.  I didn't like all the noise that climbers make either.  I hunt the same area so a ladder stand was a better option for me.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 01:28:23 pm »
Thank you all for the responses, I have found out my uncle has a ladder stand, I'll be looking him up to see about trying it out. Maybe I'll be a ground blind kinda guy.   I do like the idea of being able to move fast and easy like the climbers tho.

Marks, I hunt / live in logging country, I have access to hundreds of miles of logging rds with clear cuts, timber, jack fir, you name it we have it here for ground.

one more question. I have always been a ground hunter, hunt the wind, how high up a tree should you go to get above the wind, is there a rule of thumb for this? Thanks Ed
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:32:09 pm by Ed Brooks »
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 02:37:39 pm »
I still hunt the wind even if I'm up in a tree.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 02:56:22 pm »
Ed, if you have a fear of heights a ladder stand would be your best option. Having that ladder in front is more comforting than having nothing between you and the ground. I've used climbing and chain on stands for years but in the last few I have been trying to get away from them. I hate to have to wear a safety harness(but I do when in a climbing or chain on). They are restrictive and uncomfortable.
I still use my old Summet stand. It is one of the first they came out with. The one my friend got first was a prototype. That was probably 25 years ago or more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 03:01:03 pm »
Like Pat said, make sure you wear a harness.  I bought one off of amazon for $39 and I really like it.  I would forget I even had it on while I was hunting.  It is way better than the cheapo that comes with a new stand. 

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 04:52:59 pm »
Thank you all for the advice, I will be getting a harness IF I end up going up a tree. Ed
Feel free to add to this if you have any thing to toss in there, I'm all ears.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 02:12:41 pm »
I have tried climbers, lock ons, and ladder stands, and have come to the conclusion that a ladder stand ten or twelve feet up is what works best for me.  I bought a couple from Sportsman's Guide this year that I have enjoyed.  They are fifteen feet and in three sections.  I don't usually use one of the sections.  I am too scared of heights to hunt high enough to buck the wind and hunting too high messes with my accuracy.  While not the most mobile stand, it can be carried simply enough and what you gain in safety and stability makes up for it in my book.  These stands only cost around 50 bucks.     I have used really lightweight lock on stands when I had a lot of hiking to do to reach my tree.  I have never had a problem with lock ons, but they are noisy to hang.  Be careful, whichever type you try.  Falling out of trees hurts a lot of hunters every year.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 02:30:30 pm »
I use a ladder stand. Easy to put up and the safest option IMHO. I bow hunt by myself, so I want easy and safe. I think most of the accidents with tree stands involve the getting in and out.

The other thing I do is only use 2 out of the 3 ladder sections, so I'm 10' off the ground instead of 15'. Plenty high. I've never spooked a deer and I've had a few walk almost right under my stand.

Offline Marks

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 09:47:27 pm »
One thing I love about my harness is the Seat-O-the-Pants climbing rope by Summit. They may a short version for using with climbing stands and a longer version for ladder stands and lock ons. It uses a climbing rope and a prussic hitch to attach you to the tree. You can slide the prussic hitch up and down the main rope for more or less slack.

I think this is the long version
http://www.summitstands.com/seat-o-the-pants-climbing-system

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91-U4Ws9S_E