Author Topic: Rasp  (Read 7717 times)

Don Case

Rasp
« on: December 31, 2013, 11:35:14 pm »
I got a 14" Savedge Farriers rasp for Christmas. Boy does it cut wood! I can do a lot of damage with this thing. The cardboard sleeve it came in is not going to last long. I was thinking of a leather or plywood sleeve. What do you use?
Thanks
Don

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Rasp
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:47:34 pm »
I use a larger bike tire tube that slides over the rasp nicely.  I keep all my rasps protected in bike tire pieces. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:51:57 pm »
I use a larger bike tire tube that slides over the rasp nicely.  I keep all my rasps protected in bike tire pieces.

That is brilliant, Clint! Bike shops throw out a lot of tire tubes daily, cheap and effective rasp sleeves.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:56:06 pm »
Well you lucky dog!  ;D I looked at those about a month back and almost bought me one, 30 bucks I believe is what it was! I decided to wait. Wish I woulda gotten it then. I have a Shinto currently but that Savedge looked like it would put the Shinto to shame on hogging wood.

I hang most of mine from a nail on a shelf above my bench that way they are handy. I have thought about making a canvas type holder for a few of my tools; one with pockets so I can slide them in and then roll it up so I can carry them easier whenever I'm not at home. That Savedge seems like it would wear some leather out pretty quick going in and out. Might have to line it with kydex or something of the sort and make it a little loose for the rough side.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 12:01:30 am »
Like your idea too Clint. That's a lot easier than what I was thinkin.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 12:21:01 am »
Ive been tryin to tell people bout the Save edge,for a while now.Watch em when they are new,they will cut ya and you wont even know it till you see the blood.

I use pieces of hand line fire hose to store mine in.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 12:34:10 am »
I may have to make something like that for traveling to gatherings. Mine just set on my wood bench.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 01:05:17 am »
Ive been tryin to tell people bout the Save edge,for a while now.Watch em when they are new,they will cut ya and you wont even know it till you see the blood.

I use pieces of hand line fire hose to store mine in.

I remember you telling me about the save edge, I still haven't tried one. I have been using the 40 dollar ones from tracker supply co for years now. I'd sure like to try one out though.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 01:50:45 am »
I paid $60 for mine. (I buy my own Christmas presents) I have looked at the net and found them in the $30 range. $10 shipping and some tax gets me within the "I want it now" range so I'm not upset at the price. I tried it on some old chunks of dry OS and I bet with a little pressure I could take off almost 1/4" at a swipe. Long controlled pushes peels off dozens of foot long curlies. It is almost scary. Like I said before I think it would be easy to ruin a stave with this. My bandsaw has met it's match(well, almost) ;D ;D ;D

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 04:12:27 am »
Have a look at Auriou rasps for the ultimate......I treated myself to 3 of them for Christmas. These tools are delightful to work with.  ;)
for storage I made some leather pockets. I made the bottom piece sit flat with an edge reinforcer and then cut the top piece of the 'sandwich' 1/2 inch wider so that when it is stitched on the top piece is convex. This allows the rasp to slide in and out easily and more importantly without taking shavings of leather with it.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 10:05:20 am »
I had some leather laying around and made a simple sheath for mine.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 10:37:28 am »
I abuse mine and offer them zero protection. Honestly? They work great and Ive only replaced my rasps once in 150 (or so) bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 12:42:47 pm »
I prefer a Nicholson Farrier's Rasp, as they comes with rounded flat edges that make working the rasp with two hands easy and very safe. Price is also quite reasonable. Once I bought a pair of these, I haven't hardly touched any of my other rasps or files, except for my chain saw file that I use to cut nocks.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 04:21:37 pm »
I Have Given away many of my used  Save edge to folks through the years.Gave about 20 of em to John Strunk and he said,after using one of them,that he doubts,he will use more than 5 of em,for the rest of his life.He was so impressed,that he gave me one of his arrow planes and a bunch of his doug fir arrow blanks,in trade.
Ed Scott uses em in his classes as well.

Lets put it this way....
I would never hand a brand new Save edge,to an aspiring Farrier as they could easily draw blood with them.If anyone gets a new one,i suggest you use it with care or youll be making a few kids bows untill you do.LOL
PS.If you use a Farriers rasp,i suggest you use one of the many styles of handles available for them.It gives the best control and hand comfort.The screw on wood ones work well and are the best value,for someone that doesnt use them daily,otherwise i suggest the aluminum set screw type.I advise against the Plastic slip on type.

Don Case

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 04:27:52 pm »
Is there a clamp-on handle for the far end(or whatever you call it)?