Author Topic: Locust from the start  (Read 12109 times)

Offline okie64

Re: Locust from the start
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 10:21:58 am »
Is that crack on the side of the stave? If so, it looks like a delam in the earlywood ring and if thats the case its not good. You may have to remove wood till u get below it. Ive never tried to glue one back together but I dont think it would hold. Maybe someone else will chime in who has tried it before. I have glued vertical cracks back together that run down the belly front to back and theyre still shooting.

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 06:58:21 pm »
If its the belly delam thats a tough one, but dont use super glue because it will likely fail after some shots. Use either epoxy or wood glue then once you fill it clamp it with some slight pressure and it should not delam at all.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline THoward

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 01:19:10 am »
Still at it.  It now has no handle, the worm hole is filled and tillering has begun.  I have resigned myself to letting the wood decide the draw weight. ???  The pics are a little dark, it's evening and the best time to get away.  I do not plan on drawing it too far until I have an even tiller and then will move to a short string and the Strunk method for checking.  Once I am really close then I'll shoot for a longer draw, tiller check & weight check.  Based on what I have so far a little more off the near grip & last 2/3 on the left and at about 1/3 and last 1/3 on the right.  I'll post better pics as I slice a little more off.  Weigh in freely. ;D
"i came to live out loud" emile zola

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 02:31:34 am »
this reminds me of my attempt at ERC, there were a few layers of decaying delaminated wood. It blew up on me. The glue does a good job of keeping it together for a very long time, if its just the wood not staying together then it shouldn't be too bad, think of it this way, if people can make laminated bows then the crack would pose the same system of operation right? you could fill it with super glue and then clamp the heck out of it till its got no space in between, that should act as a lamination right? call me on it if I'm wrong but that what it seems like would work. I wouldn't just fill it because then there is glue that is doing some of the work in compression rather than all wood and the glue just serving as a bond.

My 2 cents, for what they are worth... Good Luck!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 09:21:34 am »
Looking more like a bow! I think you identified the flat spots to work on so it's just a matter of scraping and posting new pics :)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 03:53:26 am »
it look's like it is doing all the work inside, I wouldn't scape inner third at all till you get the rest working on both limbs
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 01:10:06 pm »
You got yourself a 20# bow in the making. As Bub said the center 14" cant be touched at all from here out. By the time you get the rest of the limbs bending into an arc you will have very, very little wood or draw weight left.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 07:05:20 am »
What happened with this stave? Have you made any more bows?