Author Topic: Help with Draw Knife  (Read 7879 times)

Offline woodswalker

Help with Draw Knife
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:43:12 pm »
Well I have my hickory seasoned enough to do something with. But before I can do that I need to get myself a draw knife. Would like to get a good used one but have no idea what is a fair price or a good brand. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help with Draw Knife
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 11:46:35 pm »
Check out flea markets of "antique" shops. You can usually get a good old model for $10 to $20, and way better than a new one for the same money. Try asking on our Trading Post and have something ready to trade.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:01:16 am »
I got a perfect old drawknife for $20 at an antique store.  I see them on Craigslist sometimes also. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 12:36:06 am »
I find them at auctions sometimes too. Worth watching if you are in a rural area. Sometimes they are bundled along with other old woodworking tools...

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:22:20 am »
A easy way to find them is on ebay and you just look for rounded knife,  blade with out dings, etc. And you will eventually find one. Hope this helps!
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 01:26:28 am »
If you can, get the largest drawknife you can afford. I bought a small 8-incher, and it really doesnt have the heft to power through large staves, I wish I had gotten a larger one

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 07:57:04 am »
If you can, get the largest drawknife you can afford. I bought a small 8-incher, and it really doesnt have the heft to power through large staves, I wish I had gotten a larger one

I second that. A big draw knife can do heavy and light work, but a small one is really only good for light work.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 08:33:58 am »
I got a new one from menards it has worked perfect for over a year now and will probably work perfect forever for 25$ don't see why some guys are against new draw knifes
I like osage

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 09:38:47 am »
Found mine on ebay for $18.
Always learning something new.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 01:28:11 pm »
Check out flea markets of "antique" shops. You can usually get a good old model for $10 to $20, and way better than a new one for the same money. Try asking on our Trading Post and have something ready to trade.
1+ that's where I found mine and there were 2 more I should have bought at that time also.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 05:13:15 pm »
My draw knife is near a 100 years old and my price and joy.
I have had a play with a few new ones but they all seem heavy and cumbersome.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 05:18:43 pm »
I got some cool spokeshaves at a car boot sale. love them
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline seabass

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 09:34:12 pm »
get an old one from antique stores.30 bucks or less.they are way better than new ones.i use Keen cutter brand.they have very good steel.mine is from 1930..draw knives have soft steel in between hard steel,so you need to see how much ware is on the blade.you can only sharpen so much.old ones are good ones as long as they have a little life in them.hope this helps.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 09:47:41 pm »
The draw knife I use I inherited from my father. I never saw him use it. He was a woodworker but not of that ilk.

I wish I knew why he had it and where he got it.

I have so many questions I wanted to ask my Dad. I still have so much to learn from him eeven though I learned so much.

I bought an old draw  knife when I was coming home from a shoot. It is really nice. The handles are tipped with brass. It needed some TLC from me which it got happily.
I wonder how the previous owner used it and how.

My Dad's knife is special to me.

I'm sure the new ones are fine but when I pick up an old knife I'm picking up a bit of history.
I like the old ones.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Don Case

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 10:08:17 pm »

I wish I knew why he had it and where he got it.

Maybe from his dad like a couple of my things.