Author Topic: Tillering string  (Read 2834 times)

Don Case

Tillering string
« on: January 01, 2014, 11:53:31 pm »
I've seen bracing strings with leather cups on the ends. Would it be safe to use one of those as a tillering string? Save cutting nocks before you know for sure where you want them.
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tillering string
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 12:04:05 am »
Don, I cut shallow nocks at about 45 deg on the sides of the tips and use para cord with slip knots in each end for long string tillering. If you leave the tips at 1/2" wide you'll have plenty of tip material to dress them up.
 I guess the cup type bracing string would work but round any corners or edges so you don't cut the leather cups.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:21:06 am »
I do what Pat does but I leave the nocks wider at 3/4 to an inch until I brace the stave especially I know string tracking will be an issue. Then I  can cut one side further to bring the string to center or close to it.
After bracing and/or full draw I can finish shaping the nocks.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 08:27:53 am »
I usually do the same as Pat and Jawge.  As an alternative you can wrap jute or hemp cord around the tip making a shoulder and saturate with CA glue.  Heat it with your heat gun to take it off, you wont know it was there.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 12:27:59 pm »
I usually do the same as Pat and Jawge.  As an alternative you can wrap jute or hemp cord around the tip making a shoulder and saturate with CA glue.  Heat it with your heat gun to take it off, you wont know it was there.

That is a great tip, if it works -  which I have no reason to doubt.  This, IMHO, would work better than the leather cups -  something about that always had me worrying they would slip off.  I will try this in the future for sure.  That said, I usually do as Pat and George describe.

Russ

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 12:44:33 pm »
Me too!  Lots of wisdom in the advice of those two. I have used the jute twine ca glue on multiple bows. I built a Molly last year this time that required a lot of straightening so I narrowed the tips early. I used it on that bow for that reason. Try it and tell me what you think.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline FRITZ 86

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 02:44:20 pm »
Don,
I got one i'm working on now that I used an old homemade stringer (leather cups and parachord) to do my longstring tillering with. Worked great and much less hassle than my tillering string. I used it till I went to a low brace height.