Author Topic: first bow tiller check  (Read 5815 times)

Offline matthijsc

first bow tiller check
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:57:35 pm »
Hi there,

working on my second bow here and wanted to ask you for a tiller check since my first blew up in the tillering process. It is Maple.
First picture is braced at about 4" second picture is drawn to 27". The right (upper) limb is bending a lot more than the left. Is this bad?

It is also showing a little set and was wondering if some heat treatment will eliminate this or if I should just stop putting the string in the notches and leaving it on there until I take a picture (this is how I tiller atm).

Thanks in advance!

greetings Matthijs
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Offline dane lund

Re: first bow tiller check
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 08:13:15 pm »
You have a distinct hinge just right of the fade on the right side. You need to remove more material outside of this area to even it out....... Or it could break there. The left side will have to be remove overall to match the right side.
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline matthijsc

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 08:27:07 pm »
Thank you Dane, I will do that and post the progress. Is it bad that the right limb is bending more than the left?
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:29:54 pm »
Shorten up what you have by 2-4 inches or so, then run a 4 inch straight edge along the belly of the right limb.  You will see that you have a gap between the bow and the straight edge.  Where the gap is the widest, you are weak.  Mark that section as don't touch.  Where the gap is the thinnest, remove wood until the gap is the same from handle to tip (4 inches short of the tip or so).  Now do the same on the other limb.  You got some issues that need to be addressed before you go any farther.

Yes, the right limb bending more than the left can be a problem, that is your weak limb and it will determine the bows final weight.  Get it right then work on the left.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:33:40 pm »
Get the outer 3/4 of the limb bending more. It needs to bend more in the outer reaches of the limb as yours are only bending in the inner 1/4 of the limb nearest the fades. How much set did it take? I would heat treat it regardless. It should look more like a circle. If you can get a DVD to match up with Both limbs then you are tillering good. You should be able to fit a part of a DVD held any distance from your head should be able to fit on the belly of the bow on both limbs. This is how I started tillering. Works good for beginners and anytime you don't have a real gnarly piece of wood
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:38:55 pm »
could be the photo but it looks like your tree is canted to the right.if so straighten it and place a level on the handles back till it looks good and also all those tools cause a distraction,a simple blanket or curtain with horizontal pattern tuned up with your tree will help to see what's going on.just a thought,good luck!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline matthijsc

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:48:27 pm »
Thank you, Slimbob, Wood bandit and bushboy. This is really helping me a lot since I dont have a lot of confidence in my tillering skills.
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 08:52:32 pm »
It's not confidence you need here, it's knowledge.  Know what a well tillered limb looks like and try for that shape.  Here, just go for a circle (with the straight edge) and see what you come up with.  Good luck.  Like it so far!

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:25:48 pm »
The DVD really helped me out and it usually gets you close if not perfect tiller. Most is by eye though. Boarriorbows on YouTube has a bunch of build alongs and I would watch the tillering ones and stop it when he pulled it back and check the tiller then play it and he would say the correct place to remove wood. Good way to get an eye for tillering. I would also suggest looking at full draw oics on here just to get a better eye for this. It really just takes practice and my first three bows went from bad to okay to better and now I would say there is always improvement but it is pretty dang good! I trained my eye for a year and read all I could until I started my first bow and is why I think I progressed faster than most and didn't break any. So for now I would use the straight edge and or the DVD and just train your eye every night or something just to get a better feel for tillering. It worked for me and I hope it works for you. Excited to see the full draw!
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 10:03:14 pm »
Few things.....I reread your post.  I didn't realize you had it drawn to 27 inches.  Way too far to draw that bow with the tiller off.  That is almost certainly where your set is coming from.  Don't draw one if you see that the tiller is off when braced, or if you see a problem at 10 inches, stop and fix the problem before drawing it beyond 10 inches. Back off of that by 10 or 12 inches and check the tiller with the straight edge as I mentioned earlier.  I wont leave one locked in like that much past 14 or 15 inches and that is only if the tiller is good.  If the tiller is off you will ruin it for sure.  Even when the tiller is perfect, I wont lock one down like that at full draw.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:06:53 pm by SLIMBOB »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 09:34:49 am »
Matt you need to provide picture of the front profile or people will not be able to inform you about the tiller correctly
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline matthijsc

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 12:50:02 pm »
Probably took the bow too far again, but I did not see any hinges before. The only thing I spot in this pic is the left (lower) limb is bending less.

Please be so kind to give your opinion on the tiller! I am learning a lot from your help!
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Offline matthijsc

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 12:58:35 pm »
Iowabow, just saw your post, what do you mean with front profile?
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 01:03:21 pm »
Your stiff midway on the right. Give that 8" section several good scrapes. Then Id say your just fine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline matthijsc

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 01:09:40 pm »
Thank you Pearl Drums, I see it now. Will post a pic of finished product when done.
Rotterdam, Netherlands