Author Topic: gluing on an osage belly  (Read 998 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

gluing on an osage belly
« on: December 30, 2013, 02:55:55 pm »
so i made a bow for the Xmas trade and while doing the final shoot in i found some compression fractures along the length of the limbs. its hickory and i wanted to know how i would go about preping the the belly to glue on some osage. its a molly/pryamid design, ill post some pics in a minute.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: gluing on an osage belly
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 04:09:29 pm »
The few I added bellies to I just ground the belly flat through the handle area on a belt sander and added the osage slats(mine were joined at the handle) with Urac 185. Then all you do is retiller. Other glues will probably work but I had some Urac so that's what I used.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 04:28:08 pm »
thats a good idea, i may just do that and put one long strip of osage instead of two. that way i only have to worry about the two fades on the end. im still weighing my options.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 05:23:48 pm »
Got one I need to do the same thing on Bowman. May do a backing of the hickory on a failed Osage back where a splinter lifted, or perhaps use either Ipe or ERC. Lost of options available for sure. Great thing about hickory bows, if they do fail, there's always a good backing handy ;D......Art