Author Topic: My first piece of osage, broken.  (Read 3222 times)

Offline MonkeyMan

My first piece of osage, broken.
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:41:30 pm »
After spending a few months making and sometimes breaking board bows, the osage I had been drying seemed to be ready.  I made my first bow from a stave.  It is 30# at 24".  The tiller seemed smooth and nice, and I am confident that it was one growth ring on the back.  The friend that I made it for shot it one time.  Her boyfriend aparently pulled it back, and broke it.  A good sized piece cracked and separated from the back.   I was wondering if there is anyway to patch or fix it?  Also, is there anything that I may have done, that could have caused it to break? 

Offline bubby

Re: My first piece of osage, broken.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 05:44:19 pm »
her boyfriend probably pulled it way past 24" and that caused the problem, to bad looked like a nice bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 05:46:44 pm »
Betcha dollars to donuts that "Darling Boyfriend" got a bad case of testosterone poisoning and had to show off how far he could pull the bow.  Likely overcompensating for a shortage in some other aspect.

That section of bow shows wonderfully straight grain.  I don't see any tool marks where a splinter should have lifted.  How does the other limb look?  Does it show any significant amount of set?  Usually if a bow is overdrawn, as I sincerely suspect, limbs will suffer set on the way to getting broken. 

This is why I always tell someone that they are to NEVER allow someone their own height or taller to ever shoot their bow or even pull the bow.  Especially if they are grown men with something to prove! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 05:59:27 pm »
Yea looks over drawn. Fixable tho. Ugly sinew patches do wonders.

Offline MonkeyMan

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 06:33:04 pm »
Will I be able to glue it down and sinew wrap it?  Could that be a permanent fix, or will it most likely spread?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 06:44:27 pm »
Wrap a quality silk thread 1" beyond each end of the crack. Then soak it in Loc Tite Professional super glue. Let it sit overnight. Don't let other people shoot your bows, ever. Don't even let them draw them, or touch them when braced.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 06:47:18 pm »
I agree with the comment about the boyfriend trying to show off and pull it as far as he could can you post another pic of the back off the bow but alittle further back then on the second pic
I like osage

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 07:34:23 pm »
Beat said boyfriend over the head with the remaining parts and get him to pay for the materials and time to make another.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 07:45:50 pm »
Beat said boyfriend over the head with the remaining parts and get him to pay for the materials and time to make another.

+1
Beat some sence into him and tell her to keep the bow handy in case she needs to again in the future.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 08:24:23 pm »
I had a similar experience with a bow for my sister and it was a hard lesson for both of us. Most people don't know how to handle traditional bows, especially short bows with short draw lengths.
My sister's bow was one of my favorites and it was, in the end, my fault it got broken. I didn't tell her how to handle it or that she shouldn't let some big guy handle it at all, much less draw it back.

I can see you put your heart into that bow. Sure looks like a nice one. Hope you can fix it man.
If you do, write care instructions for it before it goes to anyone.
If you can't, keep the salvagable parts for a reminder. I kept the last 6 inches of the tips from my sisters and somehow they are gonna end up in another bow someday.
Anyways, welcome monkey,
Marco

Offline MonkeyMan

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 09:31:27 pm »
Thanks for all the help.  I will give the silk thread and glue a shot.  Ultimately, it was my fault.  Neither she or the boyfriend know about bows.  We shot a few arrows outside and came in.  She handed it to him while I was still in the other room.  He didn't know any better.

Thanks again.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 11:51:10 pm »
I also do soak it in glue then wrap artificial sinew around it. Basically same thing but could be more available
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline DuBois

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 01:00:01 am »
Of course my tips may just be cut down into some osage overlays but that's enough I guess.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 05:24:48 am »
+2 on the boyfriend.
Ignorance is a poor defence. It's unlikely he meant to break it, but some guys can get weird if another guy gives "their girl" a present. An accident, sure, but that doesn't mean he isn't responsible for a replacement. Osage is the most fool proof wood around for bows. I would not make another for free, friend or not.
                                                       Hamish.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 08:06:49 am »

Thanks for all the help.  I will give the silk thread and glue a shot.  Ultimately, it was my fault.  Neither she or the boyfriend know about bows.  We shot a few arrows outside and came in.  She handed it to him while I was still in the other room.  He didn't know any better.

Thanks again.

Ill agree! It is your fault man. You gotta educate before you hand them over. My dad still feels the need to "Olympic" draw my bows to 32" if I don't stop him! And trust me, he knows better. Its a habit of his from gym class in 1961!

Stick with silk thread. Artificial sinew is good for sewing projects, that's about it. It frazzles and frays and stretches to the moon and back. That's not good medicine for a popped splinter. Be sure to glue the splinter down good before you wrap and glue again.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.