Author Topic: Christmas Bow #2  (Read 1570 times)

Offline finefirewood

Christmas Bow #2
« on: December 27, 2013, 11:05:02 am »
This is a work in progress, but the hard work is done. The plan now is to use squirrel fur to wrap the handle, put squirrel tail silencers on the string, and an antler tip arrow rest. It's a pyramid style out of a 1x3 oak board and pulls 45# at 28". I'm very happy with the way it shoots off the knuckle, but the fletching gets hard on a bare hand (ask how I know!). Anyways, it's a gift for my brother who is really into archery (compound), and I know he'll enjoy this. The handle is a glue-up of oak and maple. It's also the first time I've done a tip overlay, in cherry on this one. I'm pleased with the way it came out.

Again, thanks to all for the support on here!

FF
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Christmas Bow #2
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 11:28:22 am »
Nice lookin bow! I'm sure your brother will be a happy camper.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 01:05:18 pm »
Nice handle combo there.  Any set yet?  I can't tell cause the picture looks canted but it may be a little stiff in the mid-outers?  Or maybe I need to get myself some specs.    8)

Offline finefirewood

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 01:20:15 pm »
Good eye! Yeah, it's a little stiff in the outer third, but I chose not to do anything there because the weight is where I want it. It's taken about 3/4" set, which isn't much with an oak board. It's snappy and shoots where you're looking at 25 yards, so I didn't want to tinker too much! If it becomes a detriment to the bow and it fails, it gives me an excuse to build another for him!

Thanks.

FF
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!