Author Topic: Anybody else making their own stain? Ever try ipe shavings/chips for stain?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline toomanyknots

I was wondering if ipe makes a good stain? I have a bucket full of raspings and shavings that I was thinking of trying to boil the tannins out of to make a stain. I also have a good amount of bloodwood that is too twisted to make anything but handles and smaller things out of, so I might take a chunk of that and try it out too. Also, if you do just water with the stain, will it go bad? Should I try some turpentine in the mix?... Well if anyone is curious, if ain't nobody tried it yet, I guess I will. I am thinking though it is gonna stink the house up, osage smells bad enough when your boiling a bit pot of it...  ;D I am only gonna use it for leather really.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
I was degreasing some Bloodwood for an arrow project years ago using alcohol.  As I watched the red colored alcohol dripping on the ground I got the idea of collecting it. I was able to collect close to a cup of dark red liquid which I let evaporate.  Never did anything with it but I was left with a maybe a TBS of thick  red dye.  I don't know if hot water would work on the Bloodwood but alcohol sure works well
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
I put ipe shavings in a mason jar and added denatured alcohol to fill the jar. That was 6 or 8 years ago and the alcohol has barely changed color.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

maybe use acetone, or even turpentine.
I doubt water would do much.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline toomanyknots

maybe use acetone, or even turpentine.
I doubt water would do much.

I might try the turpentine. I have read that blood wood is used in some commercial dyes, I'm thinking the end result might look pick though?  :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair