Author Topic: new bopper project  (Read 1482 times)

Offline iowabow

new bopper project
« on: December 24, 2013, 12:48:51 pm »
Found this deer dead a year and a half ago and hung it in a tree to season. It is almost 2 at the base. Should be some wt in these guys. From one side it has a nice straight run. Any suggestions before I start cutting.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: new bopper project
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 01:40:10 pm »
that's one heck of a buck
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 02:07:49 pm »
that's one heck of a buck
died 2 weeks before opening day 40 yards from my stand of blue tongue
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 03:18:12 pm »
cut close to the skull, leaving some of that skull on the bopper. then round it to a hemisphere, removing all of the "popcorn" looking stuff around the base of the antler.

Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 02:25:07 am »
I would cut it at base at its widest point and cut it as long and straight as possible then the tines as flat as possible.  Make pressure and ishi stick with tines as well as punchs... you can also use t for indirect flaking.  If all else fails send them to me lol.. I found a similar deer skull while collecting chert... I kept the jaws for knives  and some of the bones for other projects.. Its awesome to find stuff like that!  I know people who make some good money at finding moose sheds in Maine.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 03:13:37 am »

Look for sheds next year, and boil that skull, and set it in bleach.  Make a European style mount, and wait till next year, to go looking for sheds.  Should be some nice ones out there then. ;)
Merry Christmas.

Wayne