Author Topic: How narrow can I go?  (Read 3172 times)

Offline bbell

How narrow can I go?
« on: December 23, 2013, 07:00:16 pm »
Hello All,
I don't post much at all but read the forum almost everyday. I have a question for you folks. I really like the looks of the short narrow bendy handle bows. I have lots of vine maple around my place. How narrow could I go for a 58" vine maple? I was going to try and make one without fades that is same size for middle third. I am hoping to make a hunting weight bow of about 55lbs. Would love to hear your thoughts on dimensions. Thanks.
Brandon

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: How narrow can I go?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 07:50:35 pm »
I've got a 65" long 1" wide vine maple fulling forty five pounds that only took an inch of set, so I think if you keep it around one and a half all the way through you should be alright.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 07:55:25 pm »
Bendy handle can be a heck of a lot shorter than stiff handle- the handle working adds about 6-7" working limb compared to a stiff handle(4" handle, 1- 1 1/2 inch fades). Which adds up to the limbs also being under less stress, as bend in the handle bows are usually overbuilt. I have absolutly no experiance with VM, and have never seen, touched, or worked it.

Draw length @28, you are pushing it for that design. Stiff handle- no way.
Go for 1.75 inches and tell us how it goes- based off of rock maple.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:45:50 pm »
I would say go 1.25"-1.5" at widest. Back it with rawhide if you draw over 28". Just to be on the safe side because 29" is the usual limit for a bendy handle of 58" length. But if you back it you can make a bow that isn't bendy handle that is 52" long for a 29" draw. I've seen it done before. You could probably go 30" if you tiller good but if it is a shabby job or not amazing 28" draw us a max with out a backing.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline bbell

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 12:45:22 am »
Thanks for the response guys. I draw 27" so I was thinking 58 or 60" would give me some leeway. I just need to cut a VM that doesn't have a huge amount of twist.  :)  After Christmas I will get out and find one and get it roughed out. I think I will try 1.25". Should the handle be the same width or should I go to 1" or smaller? 1.25" seems pretty wide for a handle but I don't have that much experience yet. Thanks.
Brandon

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 01:50:37 am »
If it is bend in the handle, it will have to be 1.25" AKA the handle is the widest spot on the bow of a bend in the handle and it tapers from there. It does seem a bit big but you can build up the thickness to make it feel good even though it is very wide. Should make a nice bow and be sure to keep us updated!
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 03:29:05 am »
If it is bend in the handle, it will have to be 1.25" AKA the handle is the widest spot on the bow of a bend in the handle and it tapers from there. It does seem a bit big but you can build up the thickness to make it feel good even though it is very wide. Should make a nice bow and be sure to keep us updated!

you can exchange width for thickness and keep the bendy handle. I didn't have to on my one inch vine maple, but do it all the time on my short bows, including the one in my current buildalong.

50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 04:09:31 am »
I would make the handle 1 1/8th wide and then taper into working limbs of around 1 1/4 to 1 3/8ths. You don't HAVE to keep the width through the handle justy make darn sure everything blends into the next bit!

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 10:11:17 am »
I don't know about vine maple, but I have made a couple of osage bendy handles that are 15/16" at the widest point. 58" tip to tip with no backing and #50 at 28". I just sent off a bendy handle eastern woodlands out of black locust that is 60" tip to tip under an inch wide at its widest point that is #45 at 28".

I also did a BBI that was less than an inch wide at its widest point 62" tip to tip and #60 at 28".

All of them have rectangle cross sections and a flat belly and have around 3/8" tips.

I too really like the short bendy handles that are narrow, hope this helps.
>>>---------->

Offline bbell

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 01:05:50 pm »
Yeah that does help. I am curious to see how the wood reacts to that stress. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I will be able to go out and harvest some oceanspray. I have seen some pretty small bows pull good hunting weight. So ,any ideas and wants, so little time.  :D
Brandon