Author Topic: First attempt at a Sinew Back Osage Recurve (progress pics posted)  (Read 33599 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: First attempt at a Sinew Back Osage Recurve
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2014, 07:01:19 pm »
Thanks, Donald

Well after two days of drying it has pulled a little reflex.  The string is is not as tight as it was.  It's really going to be difficult to stay away form this bow for 6-8 weeks, it will be closer to 6 I'm sure.  ::)

After close inspection I found two cracks in the belly 3/4 the way up one of the limbs,  I was very surprised to see this and thought is was too dry in my shop.  The RH has dropped to 19-20%. I'm sure it's from the furnace running 24-7 with below 0 deg F temps all night. 
I was real concerned until I revisited TBB I chapter on sinew backing.  It said that this could happen, and the cracks cause no problems. good news.  :) :)  Love those books for later reference.

Has anyone else experienced this? And should I fill the cracks with super glue?  If so when do I apply the glue, now or just before I start tillering?  Here's a couple of photos.

Thanks,
DBar   
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline KellyG

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2014, 12:06:42 am »
This one should really thump and arrow.

Offline adams89

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2014, 05:17:40 pm »
if you can feel the crack,just fill it up with epoxy and a heatgun before tillering,
if it's just a dark stripe and it doesn't run out to the sides, leave it as it is

Looks great to me,
greetings from germany

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2014, 05:43:30 pm »
I'd fill the checks with thin super glue and the sooner the better. It will stop the checks from growing.
 I have an old Jay Massey sinew backed osage and it has lots of belly checks in it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2014, 10:56:33 am »
Just caught up on this D-Bar.  Looks like it is going to be a very fine bow.  Lovely work.
1’—>1’

mikekeswick

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2014, 11:20:26 am »
Those cracks are from the sinew shrinking laterally as it is drying. With the low humidity (very fast drying)you have it would be advisable to slow the drying at least for the first week to prevent problems like this.
If you are going to put more sinew on put it down the middle to raise the crown.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2014, 11:25:40 am »
Id keep it in the bathroom for a few weeks Bassmaster. The few extra points of humidity will help. And as Pat said, fill them now with thin thin super glue.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2014, 11:56:36 am »
Thanks guys, got the cracks filled with glue.
DBar

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »
Excellent Thread!
Thank You for sharing your progress.

Looking Great So Far...
I'm watching and learning.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline hochgaertner

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2014, 04:47:58 pm »
An incredible work, beautiful curves and a very interesting thread.

Greetings from Bavaria
Peter

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2014, 02:59:10 pm »
Well guys,  It's drier that a popcorn fart in this house. ::)  ;D If that sinew isn't dry by now it never will be.  With the heat going 24-7 due to the below freezing temps for the last few weeks the RH in the house hasn't been above 20% for a long time. 

I was working on some POC arrows today and trying to straighten them, broke 2 due them being very dry.  They were very crispy.  :)
I'm going to get into the shop tomorrow and do a little work on the bow I shouldn't have much tillering left to do.  I'll post some pic's tomorrow of the progress.
Have a good weekend,
Till next time
DBar
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:05:18 pm by Danzn Bar »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2014, 03:07:30 pm »
Looking forward to seeing your progress Bill
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2014, 03:11:51 pm »
I'll have to check back tomorrow for the pics, look forward to seeing this one braced and bending Bill.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: First attempt at a Sinew Back Osage Recurve (progress pics posted)
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2014, 12:07:32 pm »
Here she is at 54# @28"...........need your eyes on the tiller, what do you think.  My full draw length is 27 in the last pic.
I put it on the tree and pulled her to 28" and the string just lifts at the nocks.  At my 27 its lays on the limb just a bit.  I'm thinking on cutting off the tips and moving the nock in about an inch.  Then it would lift at my 27" draw.  Do you think I would gain anything?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:17:59 pm by Danzn Bar »

Offline Badly Bent

Re: First attempt at a Sinew Back Osage Recurve (progress pics posted)
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2014, 12:21:34 pm »
Man Bill I hate giving tiller advice, especially from a picture but does it maybe need work mid to outer at top?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.