Author Topic: First attempt at a Sinew Back Osage Recurve (progress pics posted)  (Read 33611 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: First attempt at a Sinew Back Osage Recurve
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2013, 11:00:35 am »
Thought I'd get on here for a few minutes before my gang gets here in a couple of hours.  My wifes got the kitchen smell'n good already.

That's the plan Pat....thanks

Thanks Greg (BB)

Make sure to pull it into plenty of reflex before sinewing by reverse bracing it.   >:D >:D Once your glue has gelled then increase the reflex. The gelled glue will hold the sinew layer and when you add the reflex it will effectively push the sinew into the concave limb surface ensuring it will not pull up when it contracts and dries. This method works on even the most reflexed of limbs so no need to wrap the sinew.

I was wondering about wrapping sinew around the ends.  I've seen a few videos about that wrapping at the handle and tip area.  I haven't see or experienced the sinew curling up, but I can't understand why it wouldn't curl up at other places where the sinew threads ends.  Also, I assume that when you wrap sinew around the ends to keep from curling, you cut it off when you tiller the bow.  It's done it's job when the glue and sinew is dry.  Correct?
I would appreciate a little more discussion on wrapping vs reflexing or both.

So far it's looking great D.  Can't wait for the full draw on this one.

Might be a while for the full draw.........Dan,   I'm go'in to make sure she's all cured out before I start bending it again.

Thanks for the advice Pearl,  I'll work them tips a little more when I start shooting her in a bit.

Till next time,
DBar

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2013, 11:50:56 am »
Aaron, this is how I held the bow in reflex while sinewing it. I made a strong loop of sinew around the bow handle. I placed the tips on 2x4 blocks, pulled the handle down and hooked the loop into a small cup hook in the base holding the bow in reflex. You can sinew over the sinew loop and it will become part of the sinew/glue matrix. When the sinew is cured just cut the sinew loop flush with the backing. here are a few pics to help you visualize what I just said.  ::)

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adams89

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2013, 11:59:18 am »
i'm realy looking Forward to your bow! till now it Looks great!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2014, 07:13:25 pm »
Well I got time today to sinew the back.  please excuse the pictures, I'm not a photographer.
I used a hack saw as a toothing plane to rough up the back, cleaned and degreased the entire back.
Placed a sizing coat of hide glue over the back and waited for it to dry.
I used a string to add a little of reflex.
I put one layer over the entire back, but short of the static bends,
Then added one course down the middle and one each side of that to add some crown.
Then the last layer over all of that, then filled in here and there to smooth out the back.
Wrapped the ends near the static bend so the sinew when drying doesn't raise up.
I'm planning to leave it for 6-8 weeks before scraping and sanding smooth.  Hoping then to finish the tiller.

Any comments is appreciated, I'm in the learning curve, if there was something I should have done or should do, please let me know.

I really want to thank Clint (Osage Outlaw) for the sinew,  and Pat B for the hide glue. Thanks and bunch guys!!
Thanks for looking,
Till next time,
DBar

Offline seabass

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2014, 07:32:05 pm »
looking great Bill.it looks fast already.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2014, 07:35:12 pm »
If you are not going to add more sinew go ahead and add a sinew wrap over the end of the sinew at the tips. One long strand will be enough.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2014, 07:43:41 pm »
Pat,
It's hard to see, but take a look at the last picture, just on the right side of the crock pot, I added a wrap just before the curve begins.  I plan to remove most of the sinew that goes past into the curves if the skins don't cover it.  Is that OK to do?  Should I add another layer of sinew?  What determines enough?
Sorry for all the questions.
DBar

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2014, 09:27:39 pm »
Nice work Bill.  I like your double boiler setup.  Did you have enough of the processed sinew? 

I do all my sinewing on the kitchen island when the wife isn't home.   :-X   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2014, 12:44:14 am »
I see the wrap now. You can just cut the excess off. I've used a sharp razor but be careful not to cut into the wood.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2014, 08:49:58 am »
Looking good Bill! My setup is almost the same with hide glue and bundles of sinew. That wrap will work just fine.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2014, 02:57:45 pm »
Clint,
Thanks...I used a grill meat thermometer in the water and assumed the glue was at or a little lower than the water.  I had to adjust the crock pot back and forth from high to low setting to keep the water between 130 & 140 Deg F
Had plenty of sinew for the three layers I put on... thanks,  That's one thing I haven't got figured out, just how much and how many layers of sinew to add and why.  :-\

OK ..Thanks Pat

Tracy, thanks and we missed ya at Scottsburg.

If any one can explain or provide some reasoning as to how much sinew to put on, I would really appreciate.  The three layers I put on were pretty thin and straight, should I add one or two more layers?  and if so why?
After about 24hrs in my dry shop (28% RH) it has dried pretty hard and transparent. If I add more sinew what prep should I do to the back, a sizing coat of warm glue?

Thanks
DBar

Offline dbb

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2014, 03:02:58 pm »
Cant wait to see this one done.
Impressive hooks on it.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2014, 03:37:25 pm »
Can I assume Ill see this jewel at Marshall Bassmaster?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2014, 05:11:27 pm »
Thanks dbb

Pearl.........too early to know

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2014, 05:18:57 pm »
  Good looking work Dbar... That should be a screamer...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;