Author Topic: Rounded back lemonwood longbow  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Pelo

Rounded back lemonwood longbow
« on: December 23, 2013, 03:32:25 pm »
Just picked up this lemonwood longbow. Lots of wear, some house paint splashes, top horn is missing.
Judging by the remainder of a purple plush handle I'm guessing that it's older and English. Measurements above the nock are 3/8 by 3/8, at the handle 15/16 across and 13/16 back to belly. First lemonwood bow I've seen with a fully rounded back. Cork is on the flat side, Buchanan dips on the back, nocks facing that way, and set about 1.5 inches also.
 Was this an actual construction technique? Or possibly a kit that someone screwed up?

Offline Pelo

Re: Rounded back lemonwood longbow
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 03:50:30 pm »
Photo

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 03:53:08 pm »
I'm guessing your confusing the back for the belly. So it has 1.5 reflex, round belly. And flat back.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 03:54:38 pm »
I agree with Will. I think you have it backwards also.   Are there any markings on the bow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline danlaw

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 04:15:54 pm »
rounded belly flat back for sure. A small strip of padding was often put on the back on those bows. Someone most likely strung it backwards and it took a set (its highly unlikely to have any reflex at its age and design)  - thats my guess anyway.. 

Offline Pelo

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 05:41:17 pm »
No markings I can make out. So most likely both nocks were glued on backwards at some point and then the one fell off? I guess it's a testament to lemonwood that the bow would survive long enough to be strung backwards long enough to take a set.

Offline Pelo

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 07:05:28 pm »
Suspecting that scenario more. Stitching on this type of grip was always on the back side wasn't it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 08:00:12 pm »
Stitching on a handle wrap is usually on the back for comfort sake.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 09:21:14 pm »
The guys are right about back and belly. I have got old bows that have had replacement nocks glued back on the wrong way ie top nock on the bottom limb(but facing the proper direction).It  is usally done by someone who isn't an archer hasn't a clue and wants to make a few more bucks, with an intact looking bow.
Is there any other information, makers mark, weight, length? If its a full length bow 15/16, is pretty narrow for lemonwood. Could be a ladies/youth bow if 5'6" or less. If it is full length it might be lancewood, which looks almost identical to lemonwood but is denser.

Offline Pelo

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 11:29:13 pm »
It's a full 72". No marks of any kind that I can see. Might be lancewood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 12:32:11 am »
There might be markings under the handle wrap. Will you post more pics?...the tips and a full length pic of the bow at least.