Author Topic: "Medium" osage and couple shorties  (Read 6360 times)

Offline JonW

Re: "Medium" osage and couple shorties
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 11:26:45 pm »
Very cool Okie. They do look a family.

Offline okie64

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 01:12:05 am »
Thanks for all the kind words fellas.
@Rich, I might need to take a few twist outta that string. I didnt realize I did have it braced that high till you pointed it out.

@Echatham, I do shoot them at that draw length. Its not that hard to do once you get used to it, you should try it sometime. Aside from the eastern woodlands tribes, most of the indians made their bows short length and only drew them to 20" or so. I dont like to draw a bow more than half its length for a bendy handle bow so thats the main reason for the short draw. I usually just tiller these little bendy handle osage bows till they have taken about an inch of set and most of the time thats about half the length of the bow.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 03:21:47 am »
Very nice job.  I really like the middle one.  Turned out great.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 09:49:23 am »
Very nice!  The tiller looks great to me - takes some serious tillering skills to make them short I would think.

Bandit - we are all ignorant about something - ignorance is just not understanding something - there are lots of things I don't understand!!! 

So...here are some questions.

Okie - do you hunt with your short bows?  If you were to use one with around a 20" draw for example,  how is the accuracy out to say 18-20 yards?  (I realize that depends on the shooter of course)  But is it difficult to shoot consistently out to that range?

Do you have an anchor point?  Is your bow arm bent quite a bit? Got any shooting tips?  I am thinking I might one to try one of these short ones!

Thanks!

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 10:05:27 am »
Really nice bunch there! I love me some shorties!.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline okie64

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 04:15:27 pm »
@Mitch, Yes I do hunt with these shortbows but I try to pick my stand locations where my shots will be 10 yards and under. With practice they can be very accurate out to 20 yards but like you said that kinda depends on the shooter and how much you practice. I point the bow and draw it like any other bow and when I feel it start to stack I turn it loose, snap shooting I guess you might call it. Its not that hard once you get a feel for it. I still hunt with longer bows too and yeah I do shoot them with more accuracy but sometimes a shorter bow just feels better to carry to the woods. Ryan Gill(twistedlimbs) has some pretty good shooting videos on youtube that you should take a look at. He has them posted over on the hunting and shooting forum if youre interested. I'll see if I can find them and post a link here in a bit.

Offline okie64

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 05:33:18 pm »
Heres that link. This is pretty much the same way I shoot short draw bows.
http://youtu.be/414_zlmriAo

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 05:40:10 pm »
The Bear family, Papa, Mama, and Baby Bear ;D, I like them all.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 11:58:59 pm »
Thanks for the link okie - I liked it and might have to try some short bows - I have some really nice shorter staves - in the 50" range that would be some good candidates.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline echatham

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 02:31:52 am »
Jeeze didnt mean to come off ignorant haha.  I meant it as a serious question.  Was wondering if he intended to shoot it or if it was a test bow or something.  Rereading my post it does sound like a dumb question.  I wasnt totally oblivious to the fact that some people short draw. I have seen Ryan Gills videos.  So.... I stand educated. 

Offline echatham

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 02:53:45 am »
Another way to respond to that would be:  perhaps i came off ignorant because i am in fact ignorant.  I dont have a fraction of the experience of most of you guys and i freely admit that.  When i ask a question on these forums it has never been to "question" anybody's know how.  Im only asking a question cause i actually wanted to know.     

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 04:13:44 am »
Those are some fine lookin bent sticks sir!  I like shooting the short ones Ishi style, it seems easier from a crouch and if done right seems to minimize left/right missage for me. 

Offline okie64

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 09:16:26 am »
@echatham, I didnt take your question as offensive by any means, best way to get educated is to ask questions. You never know what someones tone is when reading it on a computer screen so I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and assume they are not being smartellic. :D

Offline echatham

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 09:32:12 am »
No worries Okie. It wasn't you that i felt took offense at my question.  sorry guys, i was cranky last night.  O:)