Author Topic: 51" how come / why for bow (60# @ 25" hard maple)  (Read 16532 times)

Offline half eye

51" how come / why for bow (60# @ 25" hard maple)
« on: December 22, 2013, 12:28:00 pm »
It's funny how ya can read something several times and then all of a sudden a light comes on. I was going through the Smithsonian Report of 1893 [by Mason] and something struck me as odd. So much so that I needed to re-read it and make a bow to answer some questions.

quote: ".....Since the substances used in making bows are of the region, techno-geography finds an excellent illustration in the bows of North America, which may be on the basis thus divided."
"(1) The hard-wood, self-bow area.  It embraced all of North America east of the Rocky Mountains and South of Hudson Bay." ....."Indeed, in those regions where more highly differentiated forms prevail, it constantly occurs as the fundamental pattern."
"(2) The compound-bow area. By the compound bow is meant one in which the grip and two wings are separate pieces, or one in which the cupid's bow is made up of as many bits of horn as are necessary." "All the examples examined by the writer are wrapped in flannel or buckskin so as to conceal every trace of the joints made by the union of the different parts." "The compound bows of the Sioux are the most beautiful in shape of any among savage tribes........" In both types the compound bow arose from a dearth of wood for making a self bow."
(3)The sinew lined bow area ......"The occurrence of hard wood in the Great Interior Basin and of Yew and other soft woods on the western slopes give rise to wide, thin bow in the latter and the long ovate sectioned bow in the Basin"  [ it goes on to explain the wide "California types" the sinew is laid on in glue where the narrow types of the Shoshonean type are sinew lined and wrapped at intervals to keep it adhered because of the small gluing area.

The rest of the area bow types are discussing the The far Northern "sinew-corded" areas

Upon examining the drawings he furnished of the various bows I was struck by how widespread these narrow, rectangular section, double curve bows were. The vast majority of the bows given up as examples were rectangular in section (some nearly square), made of osage, ash or hickory, and double curved without tips turned back.The big surprise was the Tribes involved, or rather the area involved. There are examples of Cheyenne, Western Chippewa, Kiowa, Dakota (hickory), Dakota (unknown hardwood), Tonkawa (hickory).  Apache bows of Mountain mulberry are mentioned.

The last thing was a quote from Bourke specifically referring to Apache bow making. "The curvature of the bow was determined almost entirely by individual strength or caprice."

Sorry for the long intro. After reading this I wanted to know how-come this type was widespread, preferred, so universally accepted as "THE" form. So I made me one. It was carved out, rough finished and then checked for weight (draw) and physical weight and oh-baby is this thing hard shootin. Anyways I've drawn and shot it a bunch "in the white" and right now it's getting it's pitch and grease bath so I'll put up pics when that part's done, as well as these right now. Hope ya like the pics .   I have to believe that this type of bow is the easiest to make with hand tools, easiest to shape, and takes the least amount of wood. Did I mention these things draw a lot of weight >:D

I'll get you the dimensions in an additional post.
rich

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: 51" how come / why for bow (60# @ 25" hard maple)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 12:38:27 pm »
Thanks Rich, this is very interesting. I've not read the articles you mentioned but that is one fine looking bow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 12:50:06 pm »
Not sure I'm understanding whats said in the text, is your example a self bow Rich or sinew backed? Did you do any heat or steam shaping prior to tillering? Love the purely simple shape and form of your example bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 01:05:39 pm »
Fred, thanks but it's all based on the line drawings and the fact that this was written at a time when people with first hand knowledge were still available.

B2, yes the bow is a self bow and I steamed in 1" of reflex in the center and turned the tips back about 1" also the total steam time was 4 minuets at @ location and bent by hand. If you carve out the bow as a straight stick and then steam in the center (sharp) reflex that's how the bows were made (they idi not for the most part have recurved tips, those appear on the west slope sinew lined bows and hardly ever on these rectangle sectioned self bows.  Almost forgot, a double curve bow is defined by Mason as a bow having two demi-circles, located on either side of the central grip. Adtionally he will specify if the "horns" are turned back or not.

Here's the dimensions fellas. I measured this after the bow was made( with calipers)....it wasn't made with any dimensions in mind except that these bows were described as "....barely an inch wide." So I started there and tapered the rectangle till I could ALMOST pull the bow ???
rich

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 02:04:55 pm »
Thanks Rich
It is always a pleasure to see what you have been up to
Wonderful post and excellent bow
I need to do more reading from the Smithsonian archives 
Thanks again
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 02:06:11 pm »
Very nice looking bow.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 02:27:03 pm »
Thanks for the explanation and sketch of dimensions Rich, you know I'll be copying that bow soon. ;)
The bend on your bow is perfect to my eyes and I just like the whole shape and form of that one.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 02:34:53 pm »
Yes, that bend looks absolutely perfect.  I know there was quite a bit of variation, but weren't a majority of the square cross-section "eastern woodland bows" fairly long?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 02:40:43 pm »
How you get the draw lengths out of those puppies is beyond me.  Great job on yet another. 

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 02:46:00 pm »
Brilliant Rich as usual. Just the kind of info I need to spur me onto NA bows.

Don Case

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 02:46:16 pm »
Very cool! Did you leave the back "natural" or did you decrown it?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 03:27:24 pm »
 Very interesting and can't wait to see finished pics. Rich, so I'm not confused here, you reflexed the handle and reflexed the tips also?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:38:55 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline okie64

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 03:58:09 pm »
Good lookin bow and great lookin tiller Rich! Looks like a hard hitter.  BTW, it looks miserable cold up there too!

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 04:01:20 pm »
Great looking bow Rich,appreciate the explanation and dimensions. I definetly need to make one of those.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:11:41 pm by Dave 55 »
Now is the good old days

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 05:07:09 pm »
I'll bet it's fast.  Maple can be superior wood.  That design/tiller is Superb!
1’—>1’