Author Topic: Heavy wood  (Read 15729 times)

Don Case

Re: Heavy wood
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2013, 02:10:00 am »
A little bit off topic here, but has anyone noticed that when you heat up OS (toasting the belly or when you get it hot on a power sander) it starts to smell like popcorn? Toasting the bellies on ocean spray bows is a treat!
I thought it smelled like hay. It's a nice smell anyway.

Offline danlaw

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2013, 02:42:49 am »
Hmmmm. I've used Indian plum and it's far less dense here on Vancouver island (.65 max I guess -  grows in Parksville Don C); however I have found an indigenous wood denser than OS (which i find somewhere around .85+ usually).
.97 for another mystery wood here in BC. Way tougher than OS in compression.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2013, 03:35:17 am »
Cut pieces off other OS staves(air dried) they all sank to the bottom.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Don Case

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2013, 02:25:25 pm »
Hmmmm. I've used Indian plum and it's far less dense here on Vancouver island (.65 max I guess -  grows in Parksville Don C); however I have found an indigenous wood denser than OS (which i find somewhere around .85+ usually).

Where are you getting the SG, do you figure it yourself? Mystery wood? Another quiz? A weekend of surfing for the prize?

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2013, 03:31:36 pm »
A little bit off topic here, but has anyone noticed that when you heat up OS (toasting the belly or when you get it hot on a power sander) it starts to smell like popcorn? Toasting the bellies on ocean spray bows is a treat!

I love the smell of toasted ocean spray.  You have to try it with a coat of shellac....I couldn't stop smelling my OS bow while scraping  ;D  Glad I am not the only one!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2013, 03:38:55 pm »

Where are you getting the SG, do you figure it yourself? Mystery wood? Another quiz? A weekend of surfing for the prize?

Nine-bark? John Kelley pointed out to me how dense that wood is.  I have some billets almost ready to work...excited to see. 

Don, it is pretty much a percentage.  Volume displaced/total volume I believe.  I havent done a proper test in awhile, but I used a graduated cylinder to measure the displacement of pieces.   

Interesting point Ash arrow....for my own testing it works to dry the wood completely in the oven, simply as a standardization step.  I am not sure how you can compare one wood to another if they have different moisture contents when tested.   

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Don Case

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2013, 04:26:44 pm »
I did a little search and there seems to be at least 3 or 4 accepted methods of measuring SG. Some use "oven dry" wood, some use 6%, some use 12%.
I weigh the piece of wood. I put a container of water on my scale(metric) and zero it out.  I hang the piece of wood on a string and lower it into the water without touching the sides or bottom. When it's submerged read the scale. Because 1cc of water weighs 1 gram what you read on the scale is the same as the volume of the wood in cc. Divide the weight by the volume and you have SG. In my sample the volume was 32cc and the weight was 32 grams. My scale is only accurate to 1 gram and with a sample this small the best I can say is that it has an SG of 1. The real world verifies this because when I hung the wood in the water it almost looked like it was going to float but it went under. So it's right on the cusp. It would be good wood for making submarines ;) As I said before this is all kind of meaningless drivel but that's the stuff I thrive on.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2013, 06:08:11 pm »
That nine bark was some HARD wood idk if it's denser....then again it could be.
We all understand that density does not reflect. Woods ability for bow making correct? Ok good! Let's continue!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:31:46 pm by Bryce (Pinecone) »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Don Case

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2013, 06:30:06 pm »
While looking for SG info I was looking at lots of wood sites. Is there one factor more than others that we should be looking at. There is elasticity, compression, hardness and others. Elasticity sounds like the right one but what do I know?

Offline danlaw

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2013, 09:31:10 pm »
I just cut a length and drop it into a long thin cylinder of water. Just subtract what sticks out from the whole and you have the sg ratio. Wood has to be dry though.

Don Case

« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2013, 01:29:22 am »
I just cut a length and drop it into a long thin cylinder of water. Just subtract what sticks out from the whole and you have the sg ratio. Wood has to be dry though.

That's clever, I like that.