Author Topic: Simple "Plinking" bow  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Jax666

Simple "Plinking" bow
« on: December 15, 2013, 06:46:13 pm »
Hi, I am new here. I am looking for a simple traditional longbow for at hay bales and maybe bop soda bottle. I am 65 years old not in great shape. I had a 50 pound recurve when I was a kid. Now I am thinking more in the 35 to 40 lbs range? I had thought of building my own, but have project deficit disorder. Any suggestions what to get? Some time I find wood bows at the flea markets, but of course the seller has no idea of draw weight, length of pull or type of wood.

Offline jeffhalfrack

Re: Simple "Plinking" bow
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 08:56:35 pm »
Wellcome  stick around and learn,, soon you'll be in the thick of it!  also there are many wheelers and dealers looking for a trade youd be surprized JeffW

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 08:57:17 pm »
I can build you one, many of us could build you one. I will send you a personal message. I have a laminated bow that is pre made that is 35#. I would just trade for something. Nothing special. The bow is sweet looking and I can add some bocote to the tips as it is plain right now. How long is your draw? It has a shelf if your ok with that.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 10:03:57 pm »
where are you from? Your best bet is to find one of us near you who can make you a bow.  I'd reccomend going as low a draw weight as possible with arrows to match (lightweight arrows very flexible).. Even a bow of 25 to 30 lbs will be great for killin haybales! how tall are you?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 10:55:21 pm »
Welcome to PA Jax. Making one is most the fun, you should give it a try.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 12:03:52 am »
You would be wise to do a little research on whoever you decide to get a bow from.  I would hate to see you trade for a bow that was unsafe or unable to shoot.  I would recommend trying to make one yourself.  Making your own bow is a wonderful accomplishment.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Jax666

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:45:09 am »
Thanks for the replies. I live in Central IL. I am 5'9". For draw length would I measure left hand to nose?  Sportsman's Guide had some Rudder bow kits that look almost semi-finished. I assume other companies have similar kits? 

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 01:31:45 pm »
I tried one of those kits and it was alright but like "osage outlaw" said above it felt a whole lot better after making one myself. I followed George Tsoulkas web site (known as Jawge on PA) to make a board bow first. It wasn't too difficult and was a great feeling when I shot it the first time. Be careful though, if you start it's a hard habit to quit!

Here's a link to George's site: http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html

Offline aaron

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 01:59:49 pm »
Jaxx, the only way to measure draw length is by drawing an actual bow. Based on your height, I'm gonna say your draw is between 25 and 28 inches. Most bows you order are listed at 28 inches, and loose about 2-3 lbs per inch. So if you want a bow that is 30 lbs at 26, just order one that is 35 at 28.
There are a few companies selling "kits" with almost finished bows. You could also post on the "trading post" section here that you are looking for a bow.
No doubt, someone from illinois will chime in soon.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"