Author Topic: Want to read a long story?  (Read 10866 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: Want to read a long story?
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2013, 09:53:34 am »
Too bad Chris, but as said, respect for seeing it through.

Why do you think the yotes have spread so quickly throughout the country over the last 2 decades, anyhow?  Just the overpopulation of deer and such?  I've often wondered...

Shoot, they've made it down all the way to my neck of the woods.  Can't imagine what they're eating, though.  Probably pets...

I suppose they could take down some young hogs.
1’—>1’

Offline artcher1

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 10:09:25 am »
You gotta love these Thompsons Pearly. They will shoot, and shoot well with about anything you put in 'em. My personal belief is that a peep sight is a great advantage in hunting situations, well, at least for some of us. Some folks may need that advantage and some don't. But IMO, it is an advantage never the less.........Art   

Offline Stoker

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 10:40:36 am »
Total respest for you going and finishing the job.. I for one have made a few bad shots over the years... But always put my heart and soul into finding it.. Next hunt will be better... Take care
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 06:17:13 pm »
I do need glasses Artsy, but I wont make excuses. I simply missed my mark. I was almost touching bullets at 50 yards on Friday afternoon while shooting and screwed up at 50 yards on Sunday.

Know what ya mean Pearl,  a little buck fever gets the best of us at times.  :) ;)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 09:14:15 pm »
That's a shame about the 'yotes, buddy but congratulations on a very, fine deer. You weren't shooting some of Art's 2 year old Triple 7 were you? ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2013, 10:48:13 pm »
American Pioneer all the way for me Eddie!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline okie64

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2013, 12:23:10 am »
Glad you found the deer PD, sorry he was eat up. That is a bittersweet feeling but it happens to nearly everbody at some point. Do you feel like you rushed the shot and didnt settle in on him or you think you just pulled off a little?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2013, 07:06:25 am »
Whew I'm tired just following along and keeping up with the tracking ;D. Respect your determination to stick with it and it really sucks that it got scavenged. They gotta eat to I suppose and it didn't go to total waste. Looks like a real dandy for Michigan!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline artcher1

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2013, 07:23:29 am »
We now know it was the powder Eddie >:(. Boy needs friggin glasses ;D!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2013, 08:34:25 am »
Jamey I don't know what I did. It felt great. When my buddy arrived I told him everything was right except the lack of sign cause by a hit. The shot felt good. The set trigger on this gun makes it easy to shoot. I guess the fact I haint pulled a trigger in years could have played a part as well, but sights are sights. I was just off a few inches.

Artys, them glasses are coming! Wifey is making us both an appt!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2013, 09:02:44 am »
Glasses don't work for me using a scope or open sights Pearly. Without glasses I can see my target clearly, but not the sights. With glasses I can see the sights clearly, but not the target. But that peep dilates my pupil to where I can see both front and target very well. Oops, another advantage for the peep ;).

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2013, 08:56:24 pm »
OH ............mother time is coming for ya Pearl  :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2013, 09:31:09 pm »
I can back artcher1 to the wall on this one...peeps is the way to go on a hunting gun.  My first .50 cal was a caplock and eventually I inistalled peeps.  I could ring the 140 yd gong all day long shooting offhand with that cheapo-CVA short barrel!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2013, 09:30:03 am »
Thanks JW! Maybe the ol boy will believe you.

Once you practice using a peep you'll discover just how quick you can get on a target. Using the military or six o'clock target acquisition method, and with both eyes on the target, when you pull the gun up, the eye automatically centers the peep (off eye still on the target), front sight comes under the target. And you will hit where you're looking. Once you practice this for a bit, all you need to see is the target, everything else becomes automatic.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2013, 04:17:43 pm »
You guys talking about Peeps got me to thinking about Pin-Hole Diopter Viewing and shooting...

You can make a small hole with your thumb and forefinger (Tight OK sign) and look through it to see it for yourself while sitting at your desk without glasses.

Then I remembered that Pro Shooters use it in competition and ran across this article.
Below is just a small piece of it talking about the Pin-Hole.

Pin-Hole Diopter Shooting

by Don Depew (Drinking Buffalo)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old shooters never die - their vision just fades away.

It's a fact of life that beyond the age of 40 a person's eyes just can't focus on things as close as his rifle and pistol sights anymore. The condition gets worse and worse as you get older - and it happens to everybody. But you still want to shoot, even competitively, and against those young guys with their young eyes too.
 So what can you do? Telescopes work fine, of course, if you're into modern, or slug gun shooting. Peep sights aren't bad, if you're into bench or buffalo. But how do you continue to see those open sights on your offhand gun, or your flintlock, or your pistols? Well, here are some things you can and should do. Try them all and you will be amazed by how well they work. They shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg, either.

The simplest and probably the most significant thing you can do is to use a pin-hole device on your shooting glasses. This will sharpen the focus of objects at every distance. You can buy these, of course, but don't do that. Just use a small piece of black plastic electrician's tape with a 1/16 inch hole punched in it (the smallest size punch of a common leather punch). Pieces of tape no bigger than about 1/4-inch square work fine. Don't make the hole too small, or diffraction effects will make things fuzzy.

Cut a few snips of the tape, punch a hole in each one, and keep them stuck to something inside your shooting pouch, like the top of a cap box. Then if you need a new one, it's all ready to peel off and stick onto your glasses. And that's all you do, just stick it onto your glasses, up in the inner corner for rifle shooting, and more centered but still high up for pistol shooting. If you use small pieces of tape, you can have both stuck onto your shooting glasses at the same time. They don't even get in the way for normal vision.

Sorry for the Hijack...  O:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX