Author Topic: Asymmetrical vine maple bow  (Read 8971 times)

Offline Gordon

Asymmetrical vine maple bow
« on: December 15, 2013, 02:39:16 pm »
Here is bow that I recently completed. It's made of a surly piece of vine maple that I harvested on the N. Oregon coast. I tried repeatedly to make it submit to the shape I had in mind, but the wood fought me all the way. Eventually I gave up and just let it do what it wanted. So the top limb is a D shape and the bottom limb is a natural reflex deflex. In spite of the limb asymmetry the bow actually shoots really well. Its 58" nock to nock and bends through the handle. The tips are made of elk antler also harvested from the N. Oregon coast. 45# @ 27". Last two pictures are of my buddy Dave shooting the bow.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 02:53:20 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline portlandfire

Re: Asymmetrical vine maple bow
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 02:46:30 pm »
     Having shot few bend through the handle bows, I was skeptical.  But that bow is one of the nicest shooting bows that I have shot.  Maybe I was having a good day (unlikely :o), but I was really hitting where I was aiming with that bow.  It is faaasssst for a lightweight bow and I know Gordon will be harvesting a nice blacktail  next year from the treestand.
Dave H

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 02:51:10 pm »
Cool Gordon....good to see a bow from ya again  ;)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 02:51:54 pm »
Thanks Dave! Yes, this bow will likely be going up with me in my tree stand next year.
Gordon

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 02:52:54 pm »
I like it! very unique, I have had a few bows with reflex in one limb. usually make that one the bottom limb for some reason. looks good at full draw is whats most important I think, and that one looks pretty cool! it may just be the angle but thr bottom limb seems to be bending more at mid limb to near the fade than the top limb. no matter wht though it shoots decent so dont listen to me or anyone if your happy! again, really kool bow, I really have to get my hands on some vine maple. tons of sugar maple but no vine that I know of.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 02:55:00 pm »
Very cool bow Gordon.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 02:57:42 pm »
Neolithic, the bottom looks like it's bending excessively mid limb because the inner limb is deflexed and the outer limb is reflexed. Whereas the top limb is straight. You can't rely on your normal visual clues when tillering a bow like this.
Gordon

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 03:02:58 pm »
You finished it! Woohoo! Way to go Gordo I know she was givin yah some trouble but it looks like you tamed that beast :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 03:05:30 pm »
Way to go Gordo I know she was givin yah some trouble but it looks like you tamed that beast

Hmm, I wouldn't go so far as to say I tamed it - more like we came to an "accommodation" with each other  ;D
Gordon

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 03:16:02 pm »
Gotyah ;D well she came out beautiful either way
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 03:25:14 pm »
Is it upside down in the last pic? Serving looks lower than the previous pic. It looks the right way up...

Very very beautiful bow, I hope I can make something like that one day.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 03:30:04 pm »
Really neat looking bow. Good job.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 03:31:20 pm »
Nice work Gordon.  It looks fast.  Love that unstrung profile. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 03:42:18 pm »
I love your bows Gordon.  When I was first thinking of building bows, I came across your bows on P.P.  Inspiring to say the least.  Great job.  You made a great bow out of a very tricky stave.  What kind of stain did you use?

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 04:02:54 pm »
Very nice, the bent bow looks quite harmonic for such a unwieldy stave
Don't shoot!