Author Topic: Inner Bark?  (Read 1617 times)

Offline ajooter

Inner Bark?
« on: December 14, 2013, 10:02:27 pm »
I've seen a bunch of bows with the inner bark left on the back in a textured manor.  How the heck do ya do that??  I was working the bark off a maple stave today and could not for the life of me begin to accomplish leaving any on the back of the stave in a visually pleasing manor. 

Offline PatM

Re: Inner Bark?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:36:33 pm »
Most people use a wood that has an inner bark conducive to that. Usually something with a bit of fibrous quality to it.  Most  Maple doesn't really have a bark suitable for this.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 10:42:11 pm »
That's something nice about maple, the bark comes off pretty easy.  Hickory is famous for having lines, grooves, valleys, dips and depressions under the bark.  Growthrings are not exactly smooth.  So when someone makes the mistake of leaving the bark on until it cures, they often give up in utter frustration, saying "I really like the camoflage effect I get."   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 05:10:28 am »
Do you mean the cambrium. I have often thought of making a bow with the bark left on. 
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline ajooter

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 07:34:23 am »
JW- I haven't even attempted it yet and if I cut wood in the winter would probably be giving up myself  :P.  I actually violated some rings in a few spots on the maple I'm working and had to chase a paper thing ring out.  The rings were so thin I was able ro scrape down another growth ring luckily.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 05:07:20 pm »
Ouch! Hate when that happens.  Maple is not an easy wood to chase rings on because it does not have the early wood and late wood like osage or hickory.  Good luck, brother!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline smoke

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:05:46 am »
I did it with a hickory stave - but not by plan.  The stave was cut in the winter and I just couldn't get all of the cambrium off.  I is a very pretty bow and I get lots of comments but twice now a bit of the cambrium will pop.  That requires a bit of refinishing which I really don't like to mess with.  If you try it, I'd suggest shooting it 300-400 times before you apply any finish.  Best, Don