Author Topic: Osage Christmas bow is done!  (Read 9991 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Osage Christmas bow is done!
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2013, 07:11:55 pm »
Agreed. Just remind me not to get a bow from you. Great tiller, but those nocks scare the living crap out of me.

Jon

Wow some rude comments in here the dude did a very very nice job on the bow

Ya I know. We have a trade in the works with knives and that turned me off to him. I will still trade with him because spite is a horrible condition that is buried in every humans heart. But he just un-made my day  :(

When did we ever have a trade for a knife in the works? I think we had one pm between the two of us a couple months ago, and never went further than that. maybe you missed my second post, I'm just being brutally honest. You have claimed in the past that you charge 300-400 dollars per bow. I'm just saying that I would never pay that much for a bow with nocks like that that are almost sure to break. JMHO, and I'll gladly remove my first comment if it ruins your day. Sorry to offend you bud.

Jon
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 07:19:04 pm by Ifrit617 »

Offline Badger

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2013, 07:18:58 pm »
  Squirrel, on a red oak board bow that is 1/4 sawn cutting into the back is not a problem, If you cut into a stave bow you will seperate the rings, even if left very thick. Rings will seperate without too much effort.

Offline DLH

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2013, 07:26:06 pm »
This may be a dumb question but overlays cut and glued on an angle through the growth rings would that be considered violated or would the glue and over lay help keep it all together?

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2013, 07:31:03 pm »
This may be a dumb question but overlays cut and glued on an angle through the growth rings would that be considered violated or would the glue and over lay help keep it all together?

The epoxy and overlay should keep it together just fine.

Jon

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2013, 07:57:08 pm »

The overlay goes over all of the violated rings like a cap, pulling on all of them relatively equally. Add good glue and it's pretty much always safe.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline sleek

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2013, 08:20:24 pm »
Well, not to call you out in the least bit, but I am very sure that EVERYBODY here would feel allot better if you could at least show pics of the nocks you cut off even though you sent the bow, you should still have those. THey would make great coat, hat, or tool hangers in the shed or garage.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline steve b.

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2013, 08:21:45 pm »
You have some serious skills.  You know what you are doing.  More importantly, you have humility.  That puts you way out in front in my book.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2013, 08:50:00 pm »
You have some serious skills.  You know what you are doing.  More importantly, you have humility.  That puts you way out in front in my book.

I take a little pride in my bows and I admit it is like pulling teeth giving any of them away. And I have learned humility well since I joined this site. My first post was one of the biggest fights I have ever seen on here. LOL that was funny. Are you hard core? And people went ape on that. It is funny looking back at it now. :laugh:
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline adb

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2013, 09:34:09 pm »

Then you should make him an offer on a similar bow. $300 - $400 is what I heard they're worth.

Offline sleek

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2013, 09:45:38 pm »
If I had 300 I'd buy one from him, then turn around and sell it at a gun show for 350 just to show you that ain't an unfair price.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2013, 10:30:42 pm »
If I had 300 I'd buy one from him, then turn around and sell it at a gun show for 350 just to show you that ain't an unfair price.

For that bow with that tiller, proper knocks, and a decent number of test arrows through it sure, I'd probably pay more than that. What he shipped was, apparently, just missing the couple hundred test shots, so I don't doubt it could have been worth it with that tiller and finish work.

I'd expect to be paid to take an untested bow with extreme ring violating knocks and shoot it.

Bandit took the criticism well and abandoned the path known to fail. The bow could have been tested better, but I think he can get away with it with that tiller and the fact that it's osage.

Also commenting on refinishing the tip, I've done self knocks from pencil mark to ready to sand in eight minutes.I think he could have pulled it off, and I think we might as well give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he's earned it with how he's taken out comments IMHO.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline sleek

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2013, 10:44:04 pm »
+1

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2013, 10:49:56 pm »

For that bow with that tiller, proper knocks, and a decent number of test arrows through it sure, I'd probably pay more than that. What he shipped was, apparently, just missing the couple hundred test shots, so I don't doubt it could have been worth it with that tiller and finish work.

I'd expect to be paid to take an untested bow with extreme ring violating knocks and shoot it.

Bandit took the criticism well and abandoned the path known to fail. The bow could have been tested better, but I think he can get away with it with that tiller and the fact that it's osage.

Also commenting on refinishing the tip, I've done self knocks from pencil mark to ready to sand in eight minutes.I think he could have pulled it off, and I think we might as well give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he's earned it with how he's taken out comments IMHO.
[/quote

Thanks and I will never cut the back that bad again. I will do the same shape and look but it won't violate the back.

That is a huge compliment thank you.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline sleek

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2013, 10:57:45 pm »
Hey Bandit, you can get the same shape and look just by leaving the sap wood on the back at the tips, then carve that sap wood all day long on the tips to get what ever shape you  want. I seen that before and looks amazing. I would do it myself but honestly, I just quit chasing heart wood rings all together anymore and do sapwood backed osage. Reasons being: It works, not many folks do it because its always been done the other way, making me kinda unique, I'm lazy and this way is faster, and I am less likely to damage the back on thin ringed osage. Good luck kid, your doin it right.

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2013, 12:07:24 am »
Hey Bandit, you can get the same shape and look just by leaving the sap wood on the back at the tips, then carve that sap wood all day long on the tips to get what ever shape you  want. I seen that before and looks amazing. I would do it myself but honestly, I just quit chasing heart wood rings all together anymore and do sapwood backed osage. Reasons being: It works, not many folks do it because its always been done the other way, making me kinda unique, I'm lazy and this way is faster, and I am less likely to damage the back on thin ringed osage. Good luck kid, your doin it right.

Thanks, all the osage I get is bought and it doesn't have any sapwood but the guy I buy it from would gladly give me some sapwood backed osage. I had an idea to add really thick overlays, taper the belly a bunch and add those dark osage under lays that way I can carve and get the same look without the danger. I think that is going to be one of my signature tips  ;) a little bandit creativity right there  :laugh: lol. I have a few bows that are tillered shot and sanded but haven't been finished so after I have some fun with that yew build along and during the build of that laminate bow I will make a build along on those tips. Actually, I will do them on the yew build along so just follow that and I will post how to do the tips. Thanks for the nice comments and I think my bow came out pretty nice.