Author Topic: Osage Christmas bow is done!  (Read 9979 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Osage Christmas bow is done!
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 03:29:58 pm »
  Bandit, that might be ok if you are planning on keeping the bow but most of us know from experience that those knocks will certainly fail if the guy actually shoots the bow. I seriously doubt they will last 10 shots. I know you said you shot 150 arrows through it but I can't see that holding very long. No one is critisizig just trying to give you good advice.

Offline adb

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 03:48:53 pm »
Often with innovation, there's improvement. I don't see any improvement on nock design here. These tips are not lighter (they're more than likely heavier), they massively violate grain, and are likely not going to survive. In all good conscience, you should not give this bow to anyone else.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:02:10 pm by adb »

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 04:09:15 pm »
Changed the tips and sent it off. I didn't get any pics of the tips tho.  :'(

Why don't I believe you?  ??? You posted this last night(sat eve),and didnt post again until today(Sunday) ...what shipping service is open on a Sunday?  ??? And what sealer can dry that fast,and be ready to be boxed up? I smell BS   :-X

Im sorry that happens when I eat beans :P
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline adb

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 05:06:43 pm »
Changed the tips and sent it off. I didn't get any pics of the tips tho.  :'(

Why don't I believe you?  ??? You posted this last night(sat eve),and didnt post again until today(Sunday) ...what shipping service is open on a Sunday?  ??? And what sealer can dry that fast,and be ready to be boxed up? I smell BS   :-X

Seems to be a lot of that goin' around here lately.  :(

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 05:13:48 pm »
Often with innovation, there's improvement. I don't see any improvement on nock design here. These tips are not lighter (they're more than likely heavier), they massively violate grain, and are likely not going to survive. In all good conscience, you should not give this bow to anyone else.

I think if he had done the usual two hundred shots I think most of us use as a minimum test before we call a bow finished he would have had that knock tear off, been able to sand it down and put in a proper knock without much lost time.

He's young. I'm young too, I know what it's like to know everything and be able to improve on anything-- I've just been hit in the head enough already  ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 05:14:11 pm »
Agreed. Just remind me not to get a bow from you. Great tiller, but those nocks scare the living crap out of me.

Jon
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:46:43 pm by Ifrit617 »

Offline sleek

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 05:43:32 pm »
Well I wouldnt go that far, I would gladly take a bow from him, especially with the quality of workmanship and eye for tiller. I would just hope he realizes his nock design isnt good and understands why. Kid has promise and skills. Give him that.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 05:48:11 pm »
I agree with you sleek, great tiller, but hope he takes the advice given to him. Just hope the people that he claims pay him 300 dollars for the work get their money's worth.

Jon

Offline sleek

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 05:53:19 pm »
Just no way of knowing... But if his work is all like that, I bet they are. Just keep the experiments and not sell or give them to other people. You dont want anybody to get hurt other than yourself.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 06:10:52 pm »
Agreed. Just remind me not to get a bow from you. Great tiller, but those nocks scare the living crap out of me.

Jon

Wow some rude comments in here the dude did a very very nice job on the bow
I like osage

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2013, 06:18:33 pm »
I agree that it looks nice but he did something all of his sources told him not to do and sent the bow to someone without testing it thoroughly. The tiller shouldn't be a problem, but then that thing delaminates, and it will delaminate, he's going to be in a situation he could have easily avoided.

Like I said, he's young. He's supposed to make mistakes, and he'll learn from them, but maybe he shouldn't give people things that just might be mistakes.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2013, 06:19:15 pm »
Thank you guys for the half nice answers ::) Lol :laugh: I did change the nocks to just a normal looking tip and I won't do these tips again but I will always be trying new nocks that don't violate the back. It was more of an accident then I went with it and made it look awesome. Too bad I had to cut them off  :'(  and thank you guys a lot for the tillering compliments. That made my day. I have a laminate, two snakey osage bows, and a yew bow for me that are my Christmas projects. One snakey osage has the coolest look ever. That one will be my baby and that thing will look 100 times better than this one. It snakes side to side and roller coasters 4" up and down 2 times and has a few more roller coasters that are 2" up and down. The laminate is for the guy that let's me use his bandsaw even though it really doesn't work with the knotty wood I use. The yew bow is for me and I am going to use some new materials for the tips and stuff. This won't be the last of the bandit!
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2013, 06:22:31 pm »

Jon

Wow some rude comments in here the dude did a very very nice job on the bow

Ya I know. We have a trade in the works with knives and that turned me off to him. I will still trade with him because spite is a horrible condition that is buried in every humans heart. But he just un-made my day  :(
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline bubby

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2013, 06:36:15 pm »
you guys have to admit, the bandit took this criticism well, unlike some others of late, and your tiller did look good  ;), bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2013, 06:40:03 pm »
Well, nice bow! Cool nocks too, but my mind is saying uuuuhhhh... when will those break?
and FYI- To be honest... I can see those nocks holding up... if you think about it.
most of the force is parallel to the wood grain. Even at full draw, it might last a while. I cut about 1/4th inch into the back of a 50# red oak(64" long, bend in the handle, 29" draw), with tips only 1/4th inch wide and 5/8ths deep.
hasn't broken yet.

Also... Who on here posts a bow the minuite its done????
The spar varnish I use drys in about 2 hours in a fairly dry environment.
The PP varnish I made with a mix of acetone, rubbing alcohol, and pine pitch dries tack free in only 30 mins in sunlight.
and you can package a bow sunday night and send it out in the morning... and it only takes about 20 mins to make very nice self nocks on a bow.
To be honest, he made a nice bow... I would happily take it, even with the iffy nocks.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"