Author Topic: How to get that creaking sound?  (Read 6883 times)

Offline steve b.

Re: How to get that creaking sound?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 06:17:37 am »
There's that first scene in, Gladiator, where the roman archer shoots the flaming arrow to send a signal.  He draws that monster bow relatively slow and it too creaks like a door.  Now I want one.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 06:59:57 am »
Screw up on your tiller or pick a bad piece of wood.  ??? :o  As For me I don't like creaks. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 07:41:15 am »
Lol...+1 pappy.....if my bow creaks its a bow I will shoot no more...don't trust it,and when I draw a biw I wanna have 150% confidence in it without that in the back of my mind distracting me...

Why not make a sinew backed bow with way too much hide glue...that outta do it for ya

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 09:05:28 am »
  I don't know about creaking but I made a couple bows with a half knock cut under the string knock. When you come to full draw the string breaks over the half knock you know your at full draw just like a clicker. If you don't wax it the string will made a little sqeaking noise.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 02:47:09 pm »
  I don't know about creaking but I made a couple bows with a half knock cut under the string knock. When you come to full draw the string breaks over the half knock you know your at full draw just like a clicker. If you don't wax it the string will made a little sqeaking noise.
Me sir, me sir, I've had that too  :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 02:56:15 pm »
Sound effects just like the sound of the arrows flying in movies
I like osage

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 02:57:09 pm »
Here is the actual source in composite bows. If this is not perfectly teardrop shaped the string rubs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 11:43:40 pm »
Creaking bows, eagles that scream like redtail hawks, and fists that make whooshing sounds as they fly thru the air.  Reality is just not fun since Hollywood got in the business!  LOL
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 02:07:39 am »
There is a fantastic (in all meanings of the word) book series called The Change series by S.M. Stirling about the collapse of industrial civilization after an event takes place rendering all modern tech useless. The societies quickly turn to feudalism, presumably because it makes a better book, and there are plenty of descriptions of shooting bows that will drive an experienced archer/bowyer plain mad. Creeking bows, whistling arrows and strings slapping bracers all day! That said, the book series is total nerd glory and a lot of fun to read.
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Don Case

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 02:51:08 pm »
Record the noise on you MP3 player with a little pause. With some practice you can synchronize the noise with your draw. Creaking noise without breaking a bow >:D and just a realistic as the movies.

Offline Greenman1867

• Greenman's Hearth & Homestead
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 01:06:52 pm »
There is a fantastic (in all meanings of the word) book series called The Change series by S.M. Stirling about the collapse of industrial civilization after an event takes place rendering all modern tech useless. The societies quickly turn to feudalism, presumably because it makes a better book, and there are plenty of descriptions of shooting bows that will drive an experienced archer/bowyer plain mad. Creeking bows, whistling arrows and strings slapping bracers all day! That said, the book series is total nerd glory and a lot of fun to read.

OT, but thats a great series, I think the alternative name is Embverse I & II. I'm listening to the 3rd book now. Awesome for a long commute.
Complete and utter primitive archery rookie.......

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 05:09:22 pm »
Never saw a deer to stand around for a creaking :o 8)
Knapper bow
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 05:24:29 pm »
well, make a penebscot bow.
:)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"