Author Topic: How to get that creaking sound?  (Read 6882 times)

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
How to get that creaking sound?
« on: December 12, 2013, 07:57:32 pm »
I just watched a movie called war of the arrows that is the mongols,Chinese,Japanese, and Koreans I think, fighting. They are all shooting arrows at eachother and each time they drew it was a creaking noise, kind of a stretching noise. It sounds really cool and I was wondering if that was sound effects or how they get that creaking? Is it the string? It was awesome sounding and just got me super excited and now I REALLY want to make a Asian horn bow! You guys need to see the movie. It is all in one of those four languages but it has English subtitles.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline PatM

Re: How to get that creaking sound?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 08:03:46 pm »
Creaking in a bow from a structural standpoint would only happen if something was broken or the bow was made up of non-glued pieces like perhaps an Eskimo bow.
 Asian style horn bows have the possibility of the string squeaking as it passes on either side of the siyah.
 Any other noise is generated in the studio to satisfy the misconception audiences have that bows creak when drawn.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 08:05:32 pm »
I don't know why or how they do it in the movies, but in real life if your bow starts talking to you while coming to full draw you'd be wise to duck...
Gordon

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 08:07:17 pm »
LOL. I just was wondering because it gave me horn bow fever. Where do you guys get horn for that???

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 08:11:07 pm »
Nope , that was just effects. Bows aren't supposed to creak. However, one guy made an Uruk-Hai bow on youtube that has that terror-incucing creaking, here's the thread how he did it over at paleoplanet, unfortunately the video is gone. here's the link:
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/reply/401302/Secrets-of-the-Orcbow#reply-401302

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:13:58 pm »
It's the same as the noise when an actor pulls a sword from a scabbard.  Real ones are silent...

No idea where it came from.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 08:16:41 pm »
As I mentioned the squeaking of the string on the siyah will sound like that. Trust me.
 Many people  will not hunt with those replica bows by Saluki because the string produces this game alerting sound.
 You can very easily get your bow to make the sound by just making poorly shaped siyahs.
 No horn needed.

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 08:25:18 pm »
Nope , that was just effects. Bows aren't supposed to creak. However, one guy made an Uruk-Hai bow on youtube that has that terror-incucing creaking, here's the thread how he did it over at paleoplanet, unfortunately the video is gone. here's the link:
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/reply/401302/Secrets-of-the-Orcbow#reply-401302

That thing is like the undead bow king! It wanted to die in every place but was fixed and fixed and fixed...

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 10:24:51 pm »
some of my agave bowstrings creak a little. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 10:28:48 pm »
If you want that sound, take a small bit of paper folded over on itself several times. Wedge it in the nock of the arrow then insert an unserved string into the center fold of the paper. If the arrow and paper are tight on the string it will creak as its drawn back.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 10:38:16 pm »
I know this guy that make bows that are specifically made to creak.  He calls them Orc bows.  He builds two bows and does something with them.  I forgot how it works
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 12:22:57 am »
I saw that movie last years I think, cool movie but why in the heck would you want a bow to make that noise
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 12:26:49 am »
I just thought the sound was cool, I was just wondering if horn bow ls do it because I want to make one regardless and thought my friends would think its cool. This wasn't a VERY serious question, I just wanted to find out what it was and how to get it. That would suck for hunting but sounds really cool and I could show off a little on 3d shoots  :laugh:

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 04:15:54 am »
If you want to make a horn bow then buy Adam Karpowzi's book first.
Horn can be found online quite easily.

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 04:44:36 am »
Use a 3mm veg tan leather handle on a well polished bow, don't glue it round just lace it up. Works well on my Yew elb giving a lovely creaking sound as you come to full draw.