Author Topic: sinew-backing question  (Read 976 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
sinew-backing question
« on: December 12, 2013, 06:26:27 pm »
just backed a hackberry with hide glue and leg tendon sinew from two bison we butchered. its now drying.

ok my question to y'all with sinew back experience:
...some small gaps formed when the sinew dried .. Is there a recommended filler in those crevises other than tiny bits of sinew
and more hide glue? has anyone tried TB3? or any other filler that takes limb flex?

appreciate any thoughts!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: sinew-backing question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 06:51:58 pm »
I would add more sinew to the gaps. It will become part of the backing.  TB glues are compatible with hide glue/sinew but it will only be along for the ride even though it will fill the gaps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:30:40 pm »
I posted this a while ago in the hopes of helping out those who struggle with the  vagaries of sinew backing.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43246.0.html

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 08:52:21 pm »
great info PatM,
good to actually see what you're doing

didn't think about wrapping it to compress it all together...makes sense.
you mentioned you wouldn't leave a sinew back bow without some covering, thin rawhide or other
What would be a reason other than "looks" ?
If i did decide to rawhide back over the sinew , how important is it to get any air pockets out of gaps between sinew ?
it would be hide glue laid down first, then a rawhide strip just a tad wider
and be wrapped with the same cloth strips?
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...