Author Topic: Wanted - Osage  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Blob

Wanted - Osage
« on: September 06, 2014, 09:48:42 pm »
I would love to make some Osage shavings, the only problem is that it's not exactly native to the area.  I know that it is a long shot but I have a small pile of native saplings that are currently seasoning, they were cut between 2 and 6 months ago.  American Elm, Hophornbeam, Yellow Birch, and Red Maple.

Full Length Staves, Billets, something that needs backing...I'm open to just about anything

Anybody interested?

Offline wildman

Re: Wanted - Osage
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:51:11 pm »
Pics?
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Blob

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 10:06:00 pm »
I'll get some pics as soon as I can

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 03:48:35 pm »
I may be interested in the elm. I need good pics of end grain and any knots. Also length and width of the stave.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Blob

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 11:05:16 pm »
This is a photo of what I have with me.  The rest is out at my parents place.  I have to get out there to take some pics.

From left to right:  American Elm 75"ish long 2.5"-3" wide, Yellow Birch debarked and split 73"ish long 3.5" wide with a fair amount of twist, Hophornbeam 72" long 2.5" - 3" wide.  (Hornbeam and yellow birch are swapped in second pic)

The elm stave has the center marked and a couple passes with the drawknife to speed up the drying process

I wasn't thinking and didn't take any endgrain pics, I'll get those tomorrow.

Offline Blob

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 11:57:30 am »
Yesterday I took a look at the saplings that I have stored at my parents place.  Unfortunately I don't think that any of the ones that I currently have are worthy of trading.

I may be interested in the elm. I need good pics of end grain and any knots. Also length and width of the stave.

I do still have a lot (70ish wooded acres) of elm (and other woods of course) still standing.  If you let me know what you are looking for I can look for that specifically.  Shoot me a PM.