Author Topic: Finding your demensions  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Finding your demensions
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 09:22:42 pm »
WOW
I am cheering for you !
If they except it or not , I will !
So if it is not published, email it to me I will enjoy it !
I am used to my toes being stepped on
Thank you  from this worthless old nut from the backwoods of Ohio !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline scp

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 10:24:15 pm »
Some may think shortcuts are "bad" and a substitute for hands on experience however for me the wood dust is very toxic and makes me sick for three weeks after a bow has been built.  I really love building bows but I can only make a couple per year.

Do you even get sick by wood shavings? Have you tried to make a bow using only a block plane?

Offline scp

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 10:39:41 pm »
      The last thing I want to do is take the fun out of something. I see bow building as a practical working art form. My belief is that the more understanding we have the better we are able to apply the artistic touch that each individual chooses as their own niche. Learning the language of the wood is an ongoing process for all of us. Knowing what to look for, where to look and when to look is a big factor in understanding the language. It really boils down to nothing more than sharing our experiences.

IMHO there is absolutely no need for you to feel defensive about what you are doing here. We all can learn a lot from your way of talking about bow making intelligently, so long as we can keep an open mind. Without people like you, we would be mostly saying do this do that to each other and that can get rather old real fast. Thank you for sharing.

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 03:50:32 pm »
     I would like to make a comparison of flat belly tillering to faceting tillering or rounded bellies. I will start off with a disclaimer, these are just opinions on my part and could easily be wrong. I change my opinions about things all the time. Years ago I noticed that my thicker cross section bows seemed to maintain their profiles better than my flat bows, the flat bows were taking more set. At one level it didn't really make sense but on another level it did and I refused to look at it. I make 90% of my bows with at least slighty rounded cross section and I will likley continue to do so, I also use a faceting tiller method to bringing my bows to the string, I will also continue to do that. I feel it is safer, more foregiving and physicaly a lot easier and faster. It also makes fine bows!

My arguement against it is that if we are trying to push for as much as we can get out of a bow a flat design will have it beat for a number of reasons. It simply strains the wood more evenly and damages less wood cells. Damages wood cells are a major source of loss in wood bows that modern bows don't have to deal with. A rounded belly will hide most of these losses because the tension wood will simply pull most of it back into place when we unbrace it. The evidence can be felt in the tightness of the string on a braced bow. The rounded belly might take 1" of set while the flat bow may have taken 2" of set but the string will still be tighter on the flat bow most of the time. The same thing would apply to bows made too narrow. Just looking at my own fastest bows the majority have had mostly flat bellies. From the few very flat ones I have done recently it also looks like they may carry less mass weight. This could only be true if it were due to wood cells being crushed and carrying around some dead weight.  Any opinions??

Offline artcher1

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 05:01:22 pm »
Can't argue with your thinking Steve. In a perfect world where we have natural materials where the bow's back crown runs centerline, and we can execute flawless tiller, then I'd do more flat bellies myself. But staves being what they are, and boards where each growth rings is different one to the other, are anything but perfect. Paul Comstock wrote in his book "the Bent stick" that these bow's limbs return in "fits and jerks". Eliminating as many "fits and jerks" is the key really. I think a slightly (ever so) crowned belly helps keep limbs center lined..........Art