Author Topic: My new honey locust bow...  (Read 12424 times)

Offline akila

My new honey locust bow...
« on: December 22, 2007, 08:02:59 am »
Hello guys..do you remeber this stave that i wass trying to chase a ring on it??

Well... it turn out a pretty nice bow i think after some work on her..

Here are some pictures whenn i started to give a little nice shape on the handle...

Here is  a fiew pictures with the noks  for the string...

Here is the bow on the tillering tree...whenn i wass working on him, and trying to make him bend nicely...The bow is made a little asymetrical..the top limb is a little wicker, and the low limb is stronger, and the handle is made so that the arrow passes  1" above the true center of the bow.

I forgot to tell you that i had to do some straighten on one limb becose it wass not right..the string did not come tru the center so i had to solve the problem with the heat gun..

Here is the bow before working on him...

And here is the bow after heat treating it.
And dose are the pictures with the final finish of the bow...i have use 2 colors..some brown and some red...

And here is the bow with the yacht varnish put on him, and with the leather for the handle...i hope you will like it..

And this is the bow in full draw.. the bow is 35# @ 29"...its a bow made  for my brother..he never shot a traditional bow si this is for practice...its a gift for christmas but he dosent now  yet... so ....shhhhh... dont tell him nothing ok ;D?....here are the picture

Here is the bow unstrung...this wood wass  natural reflex at the beginig..and ass you can see it took a little set, but it has no string folow, and it still keep aboute 1" reflex or maybe a little more.It wass realy reflexed first...i think about 5".The wood  is not realy gr8...as you can see in the first pictures... the rings are verry thinn, and i wass aspecting  to take some set but its ok..i realy like this bow, and i work verry hard on him..Well this is it guys...see ya.. and happy holydays to evryone..byeee

Offline DanaM

Re: My new honey locust bow...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 08:10:49 am »
She came out real nice akila, well done. I'm sure your brother is gonna love it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 09:34:49 am »
The bow looks great. I am  a little concerned about the nock area. Did you cut across the back of the bow? If yes, you may want to do an overlay. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jbell

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 11:39:52 am »
 Very nice bow Akila. How does honey locust compare with black locust? There is alot honey locust where I live, but I usually pass it up for black locust.  I guess I will give it a try sometime.
Justin Blunt

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 12:34:47 pm »
Great build-a-long with really positive results.  Congratulations! Got you bookmarked, too, for Dec Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline akila

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 01:23:24 pm »
The bow looks great. I am  a little concerned about the nock area. Did you cut across the back of the bow? If yes, you may want to do an overlay. Jawge
Hy all and thks for compliments...i have shot the bow 100 times and it seams to be ok...the tips are a little thicker in that area so i hope it will hold on..
Jbel... i cant compare yet, becose i did not made a bow from black locust yet so...i can tell... to me it seams a verry good wood honey locust...this bow is just 35# but its realy fast i think..i dont have a crono. to measure the speed but its realy fast.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 07:39:46 pm »
 Nice Job on that one akila. I like the deflexed tip, the picture of the tip had me confused for a minute but now I see whats going on...... ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline akila

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 07:49:36 pm »
Nice Job on that one akila. I like the deflexed tip, the picture of the tip had me confused for a minute but now I see whats going on...... ;D
Thats how the natural shape of the wood is there...i didnt do anithing on that ;D..im kidding..

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 11:01:20 am »
Great build along akila thanks for sharing that with us.Nice bow also good job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good