Author Topic: Jimmy's Hickory Selfbow  (Read 4218 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
Jimmy's Hickory Selfbow
« on: December 10, 2013, 11:55:20 am »
Just finished this hickory self bow. We cut the hickory on Twin Oaks last year and I got a couple of pieces. It's 68" long and 47# @ 27"  It shoots a 500 grain arrow 165 fps. The back is trapped and it's a nice little shooter.
[/URL[URL=http://s289.photobucket.com/user/RangerB/media/IMG_4039_zps32bb5d73.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s289.photobucket.com/user/RangerB/media/IMG_4042_zps2df89de8.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s289.photobucket.com/user/RangerB/media/IMG_4040_zps7cfb7575.jpg.html]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Jimmy's Hickory Selfbow
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 12:01:23 pm »
Very nice hickory stick Jimmy and good performance. Is that the bow you just shot a deer with?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 12:10:55 pm »
That looks great!  How did you bring out the grain like that - did you stain or dye it and wipe most of the stain off quickly? 

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 12:13:33 pm »
  Sweet bow Jimmy, great performance as well. Steve

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 12:20:14 pm »
No I haven't taken this one to the woods yet. That was the last one I made.  I used Minwax Jacobian stain. Hickory is tough to get to absorb the stain but for whatever reason it sucks this one up.  I've used other things and it wipes right off but it drinks this stuff.  The ones with a poly in them do not work well at all. I've tried two of them and it's a mess and very little stain if any.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 12:28:42 pm »
You can water down(with alcohol) alcohol based stain and get the same effects. I also have used finely ground charcoal and alcohol, hand rubbed into the bow to get the same effects with hickory and ash.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 03:10:51 pm »
      I've heard good things about this one, looks great, nice work

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline DQ

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 04:46:40 pm »
Very nice! I like the profile.  Upper limb longer?  How much longer?

Darryl

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 06:11:31 pm »
 Love some hickory...Looks like a nice hunter. The unstrung profile shows great care.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 06:17:14 pm »
Great job man.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 08:43:31 pm »
very nice bow Ranger ! I have a thing for hickory.
when I saw your post I thought about where I went the other day . I got to visit the infantry museum in colombus with our fifth graders couple days ago . a must see for anyone that's close

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 09:20:20 pm »
Nice looking bow - like the red color of the tips!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 10:05:58 pm »
Good looking bow Jimmy, nice job with the grip too.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline scp

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 10:34:33 pm »
Beautiful bow! How wide are the working limbs and how much "trapping" did you do? If you don't mind, I like to know how many hours did it take you to make the bow before finish and handle.

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 11:28:29 pm »
The limbs are even but I shoot 3 under. My bottom limb always looks like that - always. I stop paying attention to the tiller tree at about 20" and take pictures but it always seems to bend just a tad more but I've never had one play out and they shoot well.  The top of the limbs are trapped 1/4" until the last  8" of the limb and then it tapers.

I don't know exactly how long it took.  I shaped it up for a couple  of hours. By that I mean I got the sides clean, smoothed everything out and cut nocks in.  Then I put it on the form and heated the belly for the second time.  That really dried it so I put it in my house for two days to regain some humidity. It was still quite dry so I spent about 3 hours getting it to brace then put it up for a day.  Then I tillered it to 22" or so then rested it for a day. Then I tillered it to 27" taking pictures and got the limbs where I wanted them.  Then I began the clean up and finishing work. It took 5-6 hours of finish work.