Author Topic: Maple Board Bow  (Read 9310 times)

Online ajooter

Maple Board Bow
« on: December 09, 2013, 09:06:27 pm »
I picked up this particular piece of wood from an Owl Hardwoods in Chicago while I was working out there a couple months ago.  I dont have a close up of the grain but it is the straightest grained piece of maple I have ever found.  The bow is layed out with a 4 1/2 inch handle and 1 1/2 fades. The bow is going to be ~66  inches ntn with the limbs being ~1 3/4 wide to midlimb and tapering to 1/2 inch tips.  The belly was tapered from 3/4 to 3/8 handle to tips.  I then rounded the belly of the limbs ~1/4 inch from the belly to the side of the limbs.  The back to the side was lightly rounded as well, but not as severely as the belly.  The main reduction was done with a hatchet and the fine shaping with rasps. I haven't done much with the handle yet.  I figured I would leave it flat while tillering.

My question is....can I use dry heat to add a little reflex?  Do you think I should end up backing the bow?  I am shooting for 50# to 60#.  Thanks in advance for any comment/criticism.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Maple Board Bow
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 10:58:54 pm »
Have you ever made a bow? If not, or if very few, Id suggest leaving her as is go with it. Reflexed bows, are slightly harder to tiller. As far as backing? I never use one unless I have to. Does your board need one? Bad grain? Pin knots? Anything that says "back me"? If not, Id skip that to. Your 50-60# draw weight sounds good for the bow you laid out providing your not going past 28-29".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 11:21:57 pm »
Looks like you did good with the hatchet.  If you can pick up a cheap jig saw it would be a bonus, thats how I taper my boards, then I finish it off with a hand plane. Any way have fun and enjoy.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 12:20:36 am »
Owl hardwoods is 10 min from my house 8)

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 01:17:18 am »
I think white wood board bows (like maple) really excel with a continuous taper pyramid profile.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 02:51:32 am »
I think white wood board bows (like maple) really excel with a continuous taper pyramid profile.

X2 on the pyramid with white woods boards, I couldn't agree more
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 02:55:35 am »
Get after that board! YEE YEE!

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Online ajooter

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 09:04:11 pm »
Finally got around to workin on this one.  Ended up cutting it down to ~62". Had some trouble withe the tips when trying to glue on overlays. Runs 1 1/2" to midlimb the tapers to half inch tips.  I heat treated the belly and added three inches of reflex.  Im in delaware for the week so ill let it rehydrate and recheck the tiller when i get back.  Right now its about 70#@28".  Im gonna order some goat rawhide and back it before i finish it.  Heres some preliminary pics.  I know its probably overstressed but im gonna see if i can hold it @ 70#.  Criticism always welcome of course!!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 09:36:09 pm »
Looks great! Nicely done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 09:59:23 pm »
If you never test the limits how will you know when you are getting the most from a bow ;) Looks good!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 12:21:29 am »
That looks good, how much of the reflex were you able to keep ajooter?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 04:42:11 am »
Stunning work! I never tried a board bow ...
This one looks very good
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 07:59:50 am »
Looks like a nice piece of wood.  Good job on it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:44:54 pm by Gsulfridge »
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Online ajooter

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 08:07:09 am »
BB - i heat treated it before i left so ill know when i get back when i start exercising the limbs. It took about 1" of set during tillering.  In the future ill try and heat treat it before i start tillering at full brace.  Im hoping for a straight bow.  Im still learning thats for sure.

Lostarrow - i love testing the limits i couldnt agree more :-)

Thank you everybody else.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 02:26:35 pm »
Nicely done!looks good!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.