Author Topic: advice for making large #'s of arrows  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

advice for making large #'s of arrows
« on: December 14, 2013, 01:28:48 pm »
Got a question- I need to make about another hundred arrows for 2 different bows.
One is 60#@28, the other is #50@28. the #60 is only 1/2 inch off centershot, and the #50 is about 1/4 inch off centershot. They seem to shoot the same arrows reasonably well, but up until last week... I have been making separate arrows for them.
I finally made a spine  jig and have been using cane for both.
Is there any good reason as to why not use the same shafting spine(50-55) for both? It seems to shoot fine but as I have just recently been spining my arrows... they are weight matched.
I just loose so many in the snow, and Christmas break is coming up...
so Ill be shooting most of it
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline scattershot

Re: advice for making large #'s of arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 07:25:35 pm »
I'd use the spine that flies best from the 50# bow, and build out the sideplate on the heavier one to compensate. Or just use big feathers.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:16:50 pm »
Wow, that's a lot of arrows!! I use the same arrows on all my bows, cane or bamboo shafts. They seem to shoot fine. I probably should tune my arrows more, but my theory is if I can put that arrow in the vitals, I'm happy.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 02:05:58 pm »
I was gonna ask if you ever retrieve your arrows! ;)  Cane is so forgiving, I can shoot the same arrow from 3 different weight bows without noticing a difference. Usually, the only time I'm not able to do that  is when I find one that could use a little more straightening.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 06:55:15 pm »
I was gonna ask if you ever retrieve your arrows! ;)  Cane is so forgiving, I can shoot the same arrow from 3 different weight bows without noticing a difference. Usually, the only time I'm not able to do that  is when I find one that could use a little more straightening.
yes... I do.
But when you are shooting for several hours straight...
you might lose 3 arrows or so.
you'll find 2 the next day.
but then it will snow, and you loose 12 arrows...
and you will also break a few, and then you will have those odd ones that fly in circles.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"