Author Topic: first mulberry stave-what should I do to it?  (Read 3737 times)

Offline DuBois

first mulberry stave-what should I do to it?
« on: December 09, 2013, 07:17:07 pm »
59" long and over 2" entire length. Chased a 1/4" thick ring today n the cold garage. Couple of knots and some natural reflex but pretty clean overall. What do you guys think would be the best design for this to become a reliable hunting bow?

Thanks in advance, Doob.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:15:30 pm by DuBois »

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: first mulberry stave-what should I do to it?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 07:25:22 pm »

What poundage are you looking for and draw length?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:30:42 pm »
I would divide the limb into quarters and do something along the width of 1.75" at fades going to 1.75 going to 1.5" then to 1.25" then to 3/8". That may be just a touch wide but it shouldn't take any set and it is ok to stay just a touch wide then to be just a touch skinny
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 07:35:51 pm »

What poundage are you looking for and draw length?
DBar
I want be near 50# and draw 28".

Should I try to correct it and make it real straight or just keep the sideways bends and even up the limbs?
Bend in the handle? curve the tips?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:46:14 pm by DuBois »

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 12:29:52 am »
You can do whatever you want as far as designs. It is nearly limitless. I would say for your first selfbow, use my dimensions, follow the grain, and make it a stiff handle bow, a good all around hunting weapon. Use all it's length you can, 4 inch handle with 1 inch fades and tiller it from there. If you are careful you can do it. You also have the little bit less easy to tiller but less likely to break, bendy handle. I would go from 1.25" wide then taper from 1.25" to .5" about 10" away from the tips. Either way would make a good hunting bow.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 12:35:20 am »
OK, thanks Bandit. I think I'll just try to even up the reflex on the limbs, follow the grain as you say, and keep the handle stiff with wider limbs as n your first response. Thanks for replying. Marco DuBois

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 07:21:10 am »
59" is a little short for 28" draw unless you make a bend through handle.  But, I like stiff handles and if it were my stave I would make as short of a handle and fades as possible, maybe 4" handle and 1 1/2" fades.   I've always heard 10 -15% over design than an osage.  I wouldn't make anything less than 1 3/4" wide out about 10" off the fades then taper to 1/2" leaving a little more wood around any knots .  Start out about 3/4" thick and start floor tillering.  get it moving a bit in at the fades and move out from there.  Just my opinion, I've only done one mulberry........... but I know it needs to be wider than normal @ 59" long. if you want 50# with some reasonable thickness.
DBar

Offline DuBois

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 07:31:48 am »
OK, thanks DB. That sounds like a good plan to me.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 08:01:37 am »
Uh? ...make a bow  ::) I'd make the handle bend "some" at the very least IMO ..n flip the tips

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 08:24:53 am »
Like Chris said. Make it bend, yank it back, and show us some pics. :D

Offline Centerless

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 12:40:44 pm »
59" is a little short for 28" draw unless you make a bend through handle.  But, I like stiff handles and if it were my stave I would make as short of a handle and fades as possible, maybe 4" handle and 1 1/2" fades.   I've always heard 10 -15% over design than an osage.  I wouldn't make anything less than 1 3/4" wide out about 10" off the fades then taper to 1/2" leaving a little more wood around any knots .  Start out about 3/4" thick and start floor tillering.  get it moving a bit in at the fades and move out from there.  Just my opinion, I've only done one mulberry........... but I know it needs to be wider than normal @ 59" long. if you want 50# with some reasonable thickness.
DBar

The mulberry I've used needed the larger dimensions for sure.  I made it for my daughter and it ended up 30@28.  If it was osage with the same dimensions, it would have been 15# heavier.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 12:44:59 pm »
I'd at least kick the tips a little and let the limbs bent to or through the handle. Look at the 60" Elm build along I did in the "Archives" thread.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 01:01:07 pm »
No question it has to bend in the handle, a stiff handle is not an option. Id also flip the tips up, as Pat mentioned. You will need to fight that string angle at 28" with a 56-57" ntn bow. Keep it as wide as the pole will let you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 05:49:21 pm »
Yep...you guys are right bend through handle.....I've had my mind on a short "sinew" backed bows ever since PatB finished is 56" osage,
Know what I mean Outlaw?