Author Topic: Attaching tips  (Read 6522 times)

Don Case

Attaching tips
« on: December 09, 2013, 03:12:18 pm »
When you're gluing on tips how do you keep them from sliding off the end of the bow? Everything fits up fine but when I add the glue it's like greasing the joint and the pressure of the clamp slides it off.
Don

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Attaching tips
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 03:41:06 pm »
I use finger power.  I also use professional grade loctite brand super glue.  Dries in a matter of seconds. Just be careful or you will have thumb skin tip overlays!  Another thing I started doing was scoring the mating surfaces with the tip of a sharp knife balde.  I keep the lines parallel to the length of the bow and dont be shy about scoring.  This increases the gluing surfaces considerably and has been a big improvement over simply roughing it up with some 80 grit sandpaper for me. The scoring also limits the tendency for the tip to glide around on a film of glue when clamping. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 03:51:09 pm »
A attach mine much like Carson.  I use a ca glue called super jet,  medium viscosity.  There is a product that I couple with it called jet set.  It cures the glue hard in about two seconds.  But don't get the two on you skin.  A chemical reaction of extreme heat occurs, not enough to discolor the wood.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 04:28:53 pm »
tape, glue it on then wrap painters tape around it to keep it in place.

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 04:44:59 pm »
Carson, what viscosity is the Locktite? I have two or three different thicknesses of CA from model boat building. Do you use an accelerator? I think a CSI team would have a heyday in my shop. My permanent fingertips are CA'd everywhere. Always keep a bottle of acetone within reach ;D

Offline dwardo

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 05:34:00 pm »
5 minute loctite the part epoxy. I also score the mating surfaces.
Once glued I leave them for atleast 24 hours to cure properly. No-idea where they get the 5 minutes from but with enough time they dont budge. Never had one move after appropriate drying time.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 05:41:19 pm »
I use a rubber band to hold the tip overlay while the glue cures. I can get good, even pressure all along the tip overlay to insure a good glue joint by wrapping the rubber band from one end or the overlay to the other. .
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 05:43:08 pm »
I use a rubber band to hold the tip overlay while the glue cures. I can get good, even pressure all along the tip overlay to insure a good glue joint by wrapping the rubber band from one end or the overlay to the other. .

I do the same as Pat
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 06:20:12 pm »
I'll try the rubber band next time. I prefer epoxy over CA. I have a mistrust of CA that is taking time to go away.

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 07:15:15 pm »
2" Spring clamps n super glue(the good kind) for me....never had any bonding issues..ever

Don Case

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 07:29:19 pm »
2" Spring clamps n super glue(the good kind) for me....never had any bonding issues..ever

The Good Kind???  Have you got a little more info?? ;D ;D

Thanks

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 07:41:06 pm »

Same deal for me.  Never had an issue.  Hold with fingers for about 20 seconds, and then apply the clamps.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 07:45:21 pm »
I'll try the rubber band next time. I prefer epoxy over CA. I have a mistrust of CA that is taking time to go away.

im not a fan of epoxy anymore, it leaves a gap and you dont get good glue lines.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 07:51:52 pm »
I use finger power.  I also use professional grade loctite brand super glue.  Dries in a matter of seconds. Just be careful or you will have thumb skin tip overlays!  Another thing I started doing was scoring the mating surfaces with the tip of a sharp knife balde.  I keep the lines parallel to the length of the bow and dont be shy about scoring.  This increases the gluing surfaces considerably and has been a big improvement over simply roughing it up with some 80 grit sandpaper for me. The scoring also limits the tendency for the tip to glide around on a film of glue when clamping.

I use locite gel super glue, and also use my fingers,   ;D. I hate gettin it all over my fingers though, always gotta sand it off later.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 08:10:21 pm »
Locktight pro, get it at Wally world, finger pressure, I let it sit an hour or two and start shaping  it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹