Author Topic: Newbie here, question about bow 'lingo'.  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Luvdiscgolf

Newbie here, question about bow 'lingo'.
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:01:47 pm »
Greetings all, I just came across my first Primitive Archer magazine and think I am hooked!  I used to think I knew at least a little bit about archery, owning both a compound bow and a longbow, but am overwhelmed with this whole new 'world' of primitive archery that seems have developed.  Just a few months ago, my daughter showed interest in Archery, saved her own dollars and we found a nice 'Lil Brave 2 bow set to get her started; she loves it!  Naturally, I had to dust off my compound bow and also my 50-lb. draw PSE longbow.  Wow, am I out of shape!  I've tried shooting a few times, but find that my back, shoulders and neck don't seem too happy if I do much more shooting than, maybe 20 arrows or so; I think it goes back to when I injured my lower back a few years ago and have never been quite the same since.

Anyway, it looks like I am rambling a bit here.  I am thinking about trying to locate a bow with 40-lb. draw weight or so to see if that would be easier for me to get back into the practice of shooting.  After seeing all the articles about people crafting bows, I am interested in possibly having someone make a bow for me.

So here is my question.  I am a HUGE Lord of the Rings fan, both the books and the movies, and am wondering how you would describe, in your traditional bow-crafting 'lingo' the bows that the Riders of Rohan use?  If I am going to get a new bow, it might be fun to get something with a unique style to it.  :)  To my uneducated eye, it looks like it would be more of a shortbow with maybe a slight recurve at the tips, and most definitely would be shorter than my 70" longbow.

Thank you!

Offline 4dog

Re: Newbie here, question about bow 'lingo'.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 11:07:27 pm »
short slightly recurved horse bow probably...but someone else jere would know better
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 11:39:51 pm »
looks to me like a deflexed slightly recurved short draw bow, looks around 56" maybe

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:47:47 pm by TacticalFate »

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 11:41:00 pm »
Maybe something like an angular composite bow? Similar to the ones used in Egypt. This one was made by another member of this site. He is an excellent craftsman.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 02:06:28 pm »
why don't you try making one ;) This is a great place to start.

Offline Luvdiscgolf

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 02:53:29 pm »
NICE, you guys actually found a picture of a bow used in the movie.  Your search skills are better than mine; I had no luck with that.

That composite bow doesn't have the smooth look that I like about the Rohan bow, but when it is strung, the profile or shape does seem pretty similar.

As far as making my own bow, my issue of Primitive Archer and what I've seen here over the last couple days is all the information I've had a chance to absorb about 'stickbows' and bow building, etc. so I feel quite incompetent in that department yet.  Perhaps after I have done more reading and learning it may be something I will look at doing at some point in the future.  I've gotta at least get my feet wet before I jump in.  :)  It's pretty overwhelming to even consider at the moment.  For example, the issue of Primitive Archer I picked up has an article about making an Osage wood bow, Part 2, and I am still trying to wrap my head around half of the stuff they are talking about in it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 03:01:22 pm by Luvdiscgolf »

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 05:00:00 pm »
Welcome to PA!!! ;) .....trust me..its much more fun making your own ;)

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 06:23:35 pm »
A good place to begin would be to state what part of the country you're in and see if there's anyone nearby. You might be surprised! Short of that, you can check out the build along section. Great info!." Bubby "has a great  starter bow "build along" that would be great for a first bow. If you ever have a question , just post it on here. You will likely get a response within a few hours. Sometimes it will lead to on line conversation in real time on the forum.Often between  more than a couple members. Minimal tools, skill and money required to get started. Less than a hundred dollars in tools and material would get you a nicely handcrafted  bow that would amaze and astound your friends ;) You may already own some of the tools. The materials for the bow can be as little as a couple$ or even free. Depending how primitive you want to get , it's all free( just more work!)
 If you wanted a bow that was authentic to what the one pictured is supposed to be , you are talking a fairly complex bit of work (laminated horse bow,as stated previously). If you want one that looks like the one in the movie. and is able to fling a pretty good arrow ,................ not so hard.
  If your still not convinced you could make one yourself, browse the site, pic out your favourite bowyers and contact them with personal messages. I'm sure you could find someone that will accomodate you!
 Good luck either way!

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 07:33:15 pm »
Get the traditional bowyers bible 1-4. And read.and the site. Thats all I did.  It realy is very rewarding to build your own bows and to use them. Not to metion the sense of pride for what you have accomplished.  The the community that you will be joining (the community of bowyers) is like nothing else. They are very helpful and supportive.  I feel that I am a part of something very special as a bowyer (if I can call myself that) I'm getting better eveyday.  Just try it you will love it. And your daughter will love a handmade bow from your hands much more than a store bought on. Just my thoughts. Good luck and I hope you joine. :)
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%