Author Topic: Shotgun question.  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Parnell

Shotgun question.
« on: December 09, 2013, 09:39:36 am »
So I went shooting this weekend with my buddy.  We hit the range first and I got my rifle dialed in real good.  Afterwards we hit a place next to the county range and went sport clay shooting.  I've never done sport clays before, man what a GREAT time!

So, I put probably 50 target loads through the shotgun.  Rules stated no more than 2 shells loaded at one time.  So I was trying to shoot some doubles with these target loads and the shells weren't ejecting properly.  The shells were 2 3/4".  The shotgun is in great condition, basically new and has been treated really well.

Is it typical for target loads to not eject completely?  I had no problem shooting slugs. 
1’—>1’

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Shotgun question.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:48:37 am »
I bought 3 cases of target loads from a high school trap team, couldn't beat the price. The guy I bought them from said I may have trouble with ejection in my simi auto as they were lower powered than standard field loads. All the kids seem to shoot over and unders in the club.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:55:29 am »
That's what I've been figuring Eric, that the charge just isn't strong enough for full ejection. 
1’—>1’

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 10:02:18 am »
Some autoloading shotguns have built in adjustments.  Cant say that I know which is which.
Most autoloaders allow the spring to be replaced so that they will shoot lighter loads.

Just a couple of ideas.  You need a real shotgun expert.

David

David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:05:15 am »
i've never had a problem with mine but I know a couple buddies have had the same problem, I think they decided it was just lack of power.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:27:40 am »
Sounds like you are onto it
as the weather cools down you will have more problems
Very few will be reliable when it gets cold
We all ways call  autoloaders high priced single shots !
Sorry
Find your self a good gun smith and ask him as some models can be adjusted and most just ain't worth the trouble
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Marks

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:57:20 am »
What kind of shotgun is it? I've heard with some of the 3 1/2" autoloaders have trouble ejecting 2 3/4" shells because the spring needs to be strong enough to handle the 3 1/2s as well.
There is a big difference in a target load and a 3 1/2"  :o

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 11:45:39 am »
Yup, it's a reminton 11-87 and shoots the 2 3/4 and 3" shells.  Makes sense to me that the spring needs to be powerful enough for the stronger loads that it would have trouble ejecting the lightest load the gun will handle.
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 11:59:21 am »
I have an 11-87 SP that does the same thing. Not enough left over gas' to actuate the gun.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline autologus

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 12:25:49 pm »
My old Remington Sportsman 58 has an adjustment for high brass and low brass shells.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.