Author Topic: Lightly toasted back?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline BL

Lightly toasted back?
« on: December 08, 2013, 01:42:19 pm »
I need to rethink my bending setup, as this is the second time I've gotten some color on the back of a recurve.  I was hoping it would sand out when I got to finishing, but it's not quite all gone.  I currently just have a small form cut from and old piece of bed frame and I clamp directly to it with c-clamps and pads, heating from all sides with a heat gun.  I might just have to heat slower... patience and all that.

Does this look like it will be an issue moving forward?  It's just barely on the non-bending portion of the tip.  There is a small pin-knot and a half at the same spot in the other limb, so I'm planning on wrapping both for about 2", although I don't know if that would add any security for this issue.

Pulling 30#@28", making it for my wife.  The bow was 68" (my wife's height) before recurves and the deflexed handle .  Elm harvested about a year and a half ago from her grandfather's farm. Slightly bend through the 1-1/8" wide handle, 1-3/8" wide at the flares, tapers to 5/8" at this spot and on to 1/2" tip.  Last 8" non-bending, string bridges to keep it from slipping off the sides.  Heat-treated.  The lower limb retained it's reflex better.  I've got to figure that out too.  My guess is that the heat-treat wasn't even between them, or that it was just the weaker limb for too long during tillering.  Critique on the bow itself is always appreciated.

Full-draw included.  The spot in question is on the upper limb, on the right.

Thanks in advance!

Spot circled.

Closer-up.

Different lighting.

Draw shots.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:45:44 pm by BL »

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Lightly toasted back?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 01:51:34 pm »
  The area you are showing looks to be static... I don't see a problem at that weight, JMHO...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 01:54:40 pm »
Looks good.  With a lightweight draw and static recurves like that, I don't see any issues either.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 01:55:58 pm »
I would think the same.  I think you will be just fine.  Tiller looks pretty darn good too!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline BL

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 01:56:41 pm »
I'll consider it solid.  Thanks for the fast replies! 

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 02:41:21 pm »
That toasting is more or less in a static area and won't hut a thing. If anything, that area will be little stronger IMO. You can prevent that from happening by narrowing your form. Or chamfering the edges of your existing form. Right now the hot air is bouncing off your form and scorching the bow's back. A little walnut stain will help even out the color.

As far as one limb being stronger after heat tempering, and since you stated that this limb was the weaker while tillering, was probably the upper part of the stave (as it grew in the tree). My experience is that the trunk end doesn't respond as well to heat tempering as well as the upper.........Art