Author Topic: Hickory backed Yew tri lam........  (Read 5781 times)

Offline bow101

Re: Hickory backed Yew tri lam........
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 03:44:42 pm »
Loooks like the top limb is bending big time in the fade........and not in the outer 1/3rd.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 03:53:09 pm »
Loooks like the top limb is bending big time in the fade........and not in the outer 1/3rd.
:o... outers are stiff, but that's not unusual... I don't see any bend in the fades????!!! :o
Looks great to me...
Del
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 03:56:27 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 04:18:19 pm »
Nice save !!!
Welcome to PA !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 04:57:28 pm »
That's a beauty!

Offline bow101

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 05:38:59 pm »
:o... outers are stiff, but that's not unusual... I don't see any bend in the fades????!!! :o
Looks great to me...
Del

outers are stiff, but that's not unusual... don't understand..?  could you elaborate on that..?  if it was my bow I would not hear the end of it.........!!!!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 06:22:03 pm »
@ bow101.
Often the last 6 " of a bows limbs won't bend, one reason being that there is very little leverage on the end of the limb.
Say take a 50# bow with 24" of limb length. That's 100 foot pounds leverage at the fade, 50 footpounds mid limb, but 6" from the tip it's only 25 foot pounds, which would need a pretty thin limb to bend.
That's why nocks can be so slim... no leverage to bend 'em. You can bend an arrow and snap it... but try breaking a  length of arrow shaft clamped in a vice with just 1/2" protruding by looping a string around it and pulling.
Also stiff slim tips help keep the the tips light... you want 'em light, 'cos that's the bit of the bow limb that has to accelerate quickest and move fastest. Obviously it's taken to extremes in designs like the Mollegabet with long thin stiff levers. (The bow in question has a hint of this in the tiller IMO, as maybe the outer 8" is pretty stiff)
Anyhow, all just my opinion but I couldn't see hardly any bend straight out of the fade... it looks like mid limb doing the bulk of the work.

I should prob' have kept my big mouth shut and let Mick answer your critique :-[
Del
Oppologies for hi-jacking the thread :-[
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:26:47 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 06:33:00 pm »
Mick, Welcome to PA!  Glad you found your way here.  Beautiful bow.  Love the design.  Glad to see you were able to make the save.   :D
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 06:55:57 pm »
Pretty sweet.  :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 07:43:03 pm »
In the unbraced profile it looks like the reflex is mostly in the outer half of the limb, and more pronounced on the top limb, which may account for a slightly flatter outer limb? 

Offline mikaluger (Mick Kay)

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 07:49:42 pm »
Beautiful bow, I'm really digging that arrow rest, fantastic work.

On another note, where about are you sourcing yew from? I'm down in Brissy and have been trying hard to find anywhere/anyone to get

Pm sent

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 07:57:56 pm »
Super nice bow and a skillful save. I like the overall look of it as well as the details like the arrow rest and handle wrap.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 08:15:36 pm »
Looks great to me...
Del

outers are stiff, but that's not unusual... don't understand..?  could you elaborate on that..?  if it was my bow I would not hear the end of it.........!!!!

Also keep in mind that this bow is reflexed from mid limb out. This will make the outer limbs appear stiff even if they are doing their fair share of work.

Offline mikaluger (Mick Kay)

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 08:28:56 pm »
Hi guy's
Thanks for the welcome and your comments. Firstly let me say I am very much an amateur bowyer and still working out what works in my bows and what doesn't. I am a carpenter tho, so I can say, I have a good feel for different timbers and how to work them.
In terms of design, this bow and an osage one I made before it, are a culmination of 2 years of making bows out of different timbers, both northern and southern hemisphere species, with mostly un performing or sometimes catastrophic results! :-[
 Finally I can say with this bow and the osage bow before it, I am very happy with the result. I back all my flatbows with Hickory, its relatively easy to get here and is fantastic to work with, it also works!
I am yet to make a successful self bow that has lasted more than 500-600 arrows. These were American white ash which we use here alot in furniture making. I tried a yew bow a few weeks ago, but it broke in the tillering process and I managed to salvage this from the remnants. Thank goodness.

As you can see in the unstrung photo their is quite alot of reflex glued into this bow, and maybe I should of started it closer to the limb tips, so as a consequence, the inner and mid limbs are doing the bulk of the work. There seems to be no ill effects of this, thus far, the bow however, comes around quite smooth. The profile is quite square on the limbs. Just something I am toying with after reading a few post's on various sites. Trying to get some speed into my bows and i'm getting there!!!The bow picks up the draw weight early and is smooth to draw, it packs quite a punch for 45lb. The yew is fantastic to work with. I just ordered some more. Thanks Carson!!!!! ;)

When I tiller a bow like this, I cut and plane a nice taper from fades to tips, then start to tiller the limbs from the fades out and hardly end up touching the limb tips at all. I have done my last few bows like this and as a result, they have kept there shape with no or very little set, draw and shoot smooth and are the quickest bows I've made. The tillering was a little challenging on this bow as the mid limb took a bit of coaxing to "pop" and go back the other way. A few nervous moments there, but it was fine in the end. Hope this helps.
Mick.