Author Topic: How many of us are still here from the old forum?  (Read 6694 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How many of us are still here from the old forum?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 11:37:17 pm »
The other Dano is Dan Grens. He was a regular on TradGang before he came over to PA. I met him a few years ago at ATAR and shared one of his lemonades with him.  :o   I have 2 of this Dano's osage bows.
The original Dano skipped out with a back quiver I made for something we were doing back then.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 06:39:12 am »
Still kicking. Sure have a lot came and gone since then. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 10:05:29 am »
The other Dano is Dan Grens. He was a regular on TradGang before he came over to PA. I met him a few years ago at ATAR and shared one of his lemonades with him.  :o   I have 2 of this Dano's osage bows.
The original Dano skipped out with a back quiver I made for something we were doing back then.

Yeah, I think the original Dano's name was Darren. I had about forgotton about Alberto from Italy, he used to make some fine bows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 10:22:57 am »

Actually Pat it was a community kit of bow, arrows and quiver and I think a few of us worked on the bow and quiver.  I think the quiver was one of Birch bark which I started, I may be confusing this one with the next community kit we made though, and then passed on to someone, might have been you.  The bow was one of Osage that was made by a guy, I don't remember his name now, that used to like make Osage bows with character, some had pretty massive knot holes in the limbs.  I think he was in Florida.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 10:25:31 am »

Yeah, I think the original Dano's name was Darren. I had about forgotton about Alberto from Italy, he used to make some fine bows.

Yes I do believe his first name was Darren and his last name was Higginson, spelling might be off there.  Then there was Gary from BC, I think Glenn might remember him.  Gary was a bit of a character but made some nice laminate bows, I don't think I've seen him for a dozen years or so.  He lit into Glenn at one point for shooting a Fox and then turned around and started posting about a Bear hunt he and his friend had taken that had not turned out so well.  Crazy times

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 01:13:40 pm »
" Darren Higgens".  I miss Dano.  I wish he hadn't disappeared as I feel I owe him something for the Osage he sent me.
 I think he disappeared shortly before the board was closed down unless you had a subscription.
 I well remember the arguments with Gary about his ethical road hunting practices. lol

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 01:44:07 pm »
I still have a piece of Osage that I got from Dano not long before he disappeared

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 07:02:16 pm »
Marc, the quiver I was talking about was a veg tanned back quiver with elk hair trim around the top. I remember the birch bark quiver also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 08:11:54 pm »
I remember Darren saying a tornado ate the bow, quiver, and all of the arrows before he disappeared. That was the first community bow I contributed to. The guy from Florida was named Russel. I bought a lot of his osage before he left and rescued some that Alberto had already paid for. I think he lives in Washington or Oklahoma, now.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 09:58:37 pm »
That doesn't sound like the Dano I remember.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 11:27:10 pm »
Eddie
I remember Dano telling me much the same thing.  The guy I was talking about was Chris Tindall, I believe his username was Bow Kin and Russel's username was Bowmonkey

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 11:46:28 pm »
Eddie, I think I added a snake skin to that first community Bow. It was sinew backed osage. The first sinew backed bow I ever shot. If I remember right it was a bit of a dog. ::)
 Boy, those names take me way back.
Dano seemed like a really nice guy if I remember correctly but then he disappeared.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 10:10:19 am »
Yeah, I had some arrows in that set. Mark, those are the other two guys I was about to post about-BowKinn and BowMonk. I remember the big flap over the Mirkwood bows that Russell was making and the name and design got mysteriously appropriated by another bowyer.  :o  :-X BowKinn had the trademark of  shirtless full-draw pics. I remember he killed a deer once with a bow he was working on and didn't even have finished up yet, and his story about killing a deer with a slingshot.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 10:17:47 am »
Oh yes, Chris and his slingshots.  He killed just about everything with those slingshots of his, at least that was the impression he gave

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Traxx

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 02:53:43 pm »
Didnt em boys start havin wimmin troubles?

Seems like ta me,it was  an  episode of Jerry Springer,werent it?LOL