Author Topic: How did you find out about PA??  (Read 11453 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

How did you find out about PA??
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:36:03 pm »
I was noticing that members are from all over the US and World.  I would be very interesting how you discovered PA?

I had just about had it at my job on day and left for lunch, wasn't planning on coming back for a while and stopped by a bookstore.  I had build custom fishing rods of all kinds and three different muzzleloaders.  Been doing a lot of clay target shooting (Skeet and Sporting clays), But hadn't built anything in along while (4-5 years.  I saw a PA magazine and bought it.  Been hooked ever since.

What is your story?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: How did you find out about PA??
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:32:12 pm »
Came across Billy's 4 part how to video then started googling stuff and I thought I could do it. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:32:39 pm »
I can't even remember.  When I first got into making a bow I was buying the traditional bowhunter magazines. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 10:52:50 pm »
Was walking through Wal-mart, doing some shopping.  Saw the magazine and picked it up.  It took several years before I got it on a regular basis.

Offline finefirewood

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:05:53 pm »
Was searching how to make a bow out of different types of wood and this site had (and still has) the best information. Plus, it seems folks around here actually want to help, rather than just squashing ideas. I had that problem in certain knife making forums. Glad to be apart of this!
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 11:11:21 pm »
Was searching how to make a bow out of different types of wood and this site had (and still has) the best information. Plus, it seems folks around here actually want to help, rather than just squashing ideas. I had that problem in certain knife making forums. Glad to be apart of this!

I would say about the same for me.  I allways seem to search for various styles using Google Image search.  Try it you'll be surprised what you find.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Don Case

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 11:44:08 pm »
Google

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 12:32:16 am »
Like Clint I was reading a Traditional Bowhunter and saw an ad for a new magazine; Primitive Archer. I mailed a check for a subscription that day. I think I waited a few month before the first issue came out but I knew when I read that ad I wanted it. That was over 21 years ago.  :o
I still have every copy and still go through the stack and pick out an older one to read.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 03:48:45 am »
I can't remember exactly how I found about this site, but it has been invaluable in helping me make better bows, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.   This is a special place and I appreciate everyone that is a part of it.  The information that is exchanged, the free access to true artisan, master craftsmen's advice, the friendships, the humor, and the decent way that people are treated on this site, make it a cut above anything else I have experienced on the internet.  I don't know when I first found about it or how, but I am really glad I did. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 05:09:00 am »
About twenty years ago, I was helping Gary Davis steam/straighten bow blanks in His basement. He mentioned that He's heard about a new magazine totally devoted to Selfbows - wow pretty cool  >:D.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 08:36:37 am »
friend of mine (ink) started to build bows...watcged the process was intrigued..he told me about PA..then my dad gave me a copy of the mag...and here i is!!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 09:34:42 am »
Got tired of all the glass building on TG and I think either Pat, or maybe Art, told me about this place. I call it home now and hope to for the rest of mine, or it's years.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:59:15 am »
Back in 06' is when I first attempted to make a bow,and all I had was deans book,and no internet or anyone else around to help...so I thought osage was the only wood you want to build bows from...I struggled in the dark in frustration for the first couple years unsuccessful basically ..then in 08' I saw a magazine on the rack in the grocery store id never seen before ..PRIMITIVE ARCHER... and then it was on like donkey Kong...it opened my eyes to everything out there,and that there was other folks out there,and I can make bows from other woods....so off running I went trying every wood I could,and guess what....Dean was right...all I need is osage ..lol  :laugh:

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 10:11:21 am »
'94 or '95.  Curt (tipi stuff) and I struck a bargain.  I had little interest in making an inferior "Indian Bow" and he had little interest in deer hunting.  But I agreed to let him show me how to make one of these "toys" if he would agree to go hunting with me every weekend with them.  PA mags were part of the curriculum along with the Bowyers Bibles.  I was fooling with him as I never intended to actually hunt with these toys.  I was gonna bring along the wheel bows as the real weapon.  When that first bow was finished, so were my days of bow hunting with anything else.  I still snicker at how lopsided that deal was!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 10:40:18 am »
I had a subscription to a little mag called "The Longbow and Recurve Digest" which went belly up. Shortly after the first magazine stopped publication I started receiving PA in the mail even though I didn't subscribe. Don't know if the PA folk had a connection to the L&R Digest but the free subscription to PA got me started.