Author Topic: I NEED SUGAR MAPLE!!  (Read 2500 times)

Offline billy

I NEED SUGAR MAPLE!!
« on: December 05, 2013, 04:41:34 pm »
I need some help from some of you guys up in Michigan or any other northern state where sugar maple grows.  I got a stave from a friend several years ago.  He told me to make a bow from it, that I would fall in love with it.  After roughing the bow out I let it dry for about a year.  Then, this past summer, I finally completed the maple bow.  And boy oh boy, was he right!  I REALLY love the performance of that maple bow.  I've since tried to get some more from him, but now he's dragging his feet.  At first I thought it was just a nervous twitch, but it's gotten progressively worse and now I'm suffering from a confirmed case of full-blown SMSS  (Sugar Maple Shortage Syndrome)!!!  I need someone up there to help me get some staves of SUGAR MAPLE!!  PLEASE!!!  Please send me a PM on here if you have access to any.  I'm looking for straight trunks 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inches in diameter, about 65 inches long and it doesn't matter if it's green or seasoned.  My buddy who gave me the maple stave says it grows everywhere up there in Michigan. Just so you know I'm serious, I included a photo of me suffering from one of my withdrawl fits so you guys can see what I'm suffering from.  Believe me, it's an ugly condition and it gets worse each week.  I mean, look at me!!  I'm pathetic!  Can any of ya'll help a poor guy feed his addiction?  Of course you can!!  Must....... have....... maple!!  Gimme maple!!!  Maple Maple Maple!!!!!  Send me a PM!!  I know...I've got a real problem!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:48:52 pm by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: I NEED SUGAR MAPLE!!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 04:47:13 pm »
What you need is Vinemaple.
Shoot me a pm if you want some.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 04:51:29 pm »
Your right, we are covered in it up here. You cant walk ten feet without tripping over it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 04:53:52 pm »
Vine maple is excellent too, but I really want sugar maple.  Though if you have a nice piece of vinemaple I'm interested in trying that out too!   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 04:55:51 pm »
Let me see if I can find a nice reflexed one for yah. Now I've never used sugar maple, but I have a feeling it will leave it in the dust ;)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 05:10:46 pm »
I've tried sugar maple. Its decent stuff. You need to treat the belly with care though as the fibres are easily crushed causing set. But if you treat it right, it can make a snappy bow. Not to mention its nice to work.

I don't have any cut at the moment, and its too cold to go outside... so you're out of luck from my end.  :P

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:24:24 pm »
LMAO!!!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  ;D

I've said it before....maple is a very versatile wood...sugar or viney ;)

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 07:15:49 pm »
PM sent

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 07:22:48 pm »
LMAO!!!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  ;D

I've said it before....maple is a very versatile wood...sugar or viney ;)

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!!!! :D ;)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 11:15:14 pm »
Ha!
1’—>1’

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 12:44:10 am »
haha,  ;D. I like making longbows out of silver maple sapplings. They are super light weight when done, and shoot nice. I sold one once to some idiot who tried to string it wrong, jamming the pointed bottom nock down into the ground instead of using the stringer I supplied, and broke the bottom limb in the process. Should of just kept that bow, it was a real fast shooter.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 01:02:58 am »
OK, putting a picture of Stephen Hawkings on here is just plain cruel.  >:(

Offline dane lund

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 01:38:50 am »
Billy,
I build flintlock Penns/Kentucky longrifles, my wood of choice is Acer Saccharim. i.e. Sugar Maple. I do a lot of business with Dunlap Woodcrafts. Great people, great wood. Mostly they sell blanks,a gunstocks, but either Daniel, or Wayne are extremely knowledgeable, and can probably help you out.
Google Dunlap Woodcrafts for contact info.
Good luck.
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 02:38:06 am »
Nope...  I ain't got none here.  >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 11:46:46 am »
It's all over here. I believe the piece I have is sugar. It was thrown at the town barn and is still wet. Rather short but I'm gonna use it for billets. If I see some more I'll grab u some or I'll cut some. I cut a big sugar burl a couple years ago. The trunk wasn't bow worthy. 2' round burl though.
Nothing ventured nothing gained