Author Topic: Least favored task  (Read 8508 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Least favored task
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2013, 04:59:29 pm »
The only part of bow making I hate is roughing out staves. I enjoy cutting and splitting the wood, don't really mind chasing rings even, but I hate getting the stave from a split log to a layed-out rough bow blank. Once I get it to the floor-tillered stage, I enjoy working on it. I don't like sanding much either, mainly because it makes my hands cramp up and hurt like hell nowadays. But unfortunately, I'm obsessive about sanding and finishing. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline bubby

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2013, 06:09:58 pm »
Its not a task but I'm not enjoying my lack of experience. My first bow broke as soon as I got it done and before I could put an arrow thru it and now I'm paranoid about my second one. My paranoia is making it hard for me to work on the bow. I will go out and tiller for a little while and then lose confidence, go back in the house, and not touch it again for a few weeks sometimes. Right now I'm at 45#@24" but my last one blew soon after full draw and I can't bring my self to finish it. I keep telling myself I'm going to go see Eric Krewson and let him look it over and make sure everything looks good but its hard to make the time. So I guess my least favored task is each new task I come to at the moment because I don't know what I'm doing. I haven't even thought about arrows yet but from what I read on here the worst may be yet to come. haha

dude if you have access to a great bowyer like Erik Krewson MAKE TIME
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Postman

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2013, 09:24:20 pm »
Waiting for October ;D Had three good groungd hunting chances chances this ear and no shots, but archery is back in here in VA

And sanding...I hate sanding.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2013, 07:38:08 pm »
I do most of my sanding with a $13 orbital palm sander from Walmart. I don't use it on the bow's back, only sides, belly, and handle. It takes a little hand sanding to get rid of the tiny swirls left by the palm sander but with a palm sander you get rid of any washboard effect you get from scraping, even in the fades.

Offline Postman

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2013, 12:05:14 am »
I have one of those somewhere. Definitely going to try that - thanks Eric!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2013, 10:56:43 am »
The really LEAST FAVORITE PART IS HAVING TO WORK THE DAY JOB TO PAY FOR MY ADDICTION >:(,  Wheeew glad I got that of my chest.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250