Author Topic: true reading of the bowmo copycat bow  (Read 3240 times)

Offline iowabow

true reading of the bowmo copycat bow
« on: December 01, 2013, 10:35:05 pm »
I had a few friends over today to video the bow being shot. We marked the arrow and videoed the arrow being shot and recorded the speed. So the best that we could tell was that the bow fires regularly  at 163 fps every time when pulled to 25.75" which looks like my most regular draw length. We pulled it again on the tiller tree and pulled it all the way to 25.75" and was 51#. The arrow was 503grains and the string was Dacron b50 12 strands.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: true reading of the bowmo copycat bow
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 11:04:06 pm »
Thanks for the update and the correction, John.  While the speed is a little less than originally reported, probably due to an overdrawn arrow, it is still deep into the respectable territory.  Now go kill a deer with it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 11:10:03 pm »
Sounds pretty darn good to me.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline bowmo

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 01:15:24 am »
Ya I often wonder how accurate my fps readings are. For one how do you check if the chronograph even reads right, did I over draw in my lust for more fps, is my crappy little non digital grain scale giving me an accurate weight on the arrow, ect. But ya...no the less your bow is performing above par.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:33:33 am by bowmo »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 09:31:39 am »
I have a video to put up showing the readings. Last night I read Steve's mass theory and looked up the stats on the bow. My bow is 17.001 oz this was a surprise to me if I really understand the chart.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:57:48 am »
I would say that is very respectable for that weight bow and draw. I ant looking for speed and am happy with my hunting bows at speed 3x the draw weight with
a 550/600 grain arrow.  :) I know that don't satisfy some but it's fine for me. :) I tend to over build bows anyway. That came from my early days and lots of breaks. ;) :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:13:33 am »
Thanks Pappy ...ya at this point I have been turned in the right direction by one of our members and will not be chasing one aspect of bow building (speed) at the sacrifice of making a good hunting bow, which is my main goal now. That's why this website is so cool.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 10:16:17 am »
  Thats a good shooting bow, if you put a fast flight string on you would be right at 170 which is very respectable.

Pappy, I have seen your bows and they are not overbuilt! They are as they should be. My broadhead flight bows are heavy not skinny at all. They average about 21 oz. The secret is to put the mass where you need it.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 12:54:43 pm »
Thanks Badger your mass idea is very interesting...I read it again this morning.
I am going to up load the videos but please understand at the time I did not carefully review the data. I thought the bow was pulled to 26 inches when it gave a reading of 193 fps but it was really 25.75 not a big deal because the error is not in my favor. The bow was then pulled to 26 inches on the tillering tree and read about 51 pounds so it should have been a 1/4 inch shorter because I stated that the yard stick was a 1/4 high. Anyway I learned a lot from this process like my release without back tension creeps forward about a 1/4 inch and drops one foot per sec. Basically it should be correct (if I did it correctly ?)at 51 and 163. I also learned that without recording and marking the arrow you can get a wide range of reading....this stuff is really fun and interesting

http://youtu.be/4QofDg2cecs
http://youtu.be/xD3Lp1TI3Oo
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:02:37 pm by iowabow »

Offline artcher1

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 01:13:44 pm »
Nothing wrong with those numbers! I watched your video and I noticed your pulley was squeaking. Oil it's pin and recheck your poundage. I used that method of weighing once and it didn't mesh up with how I normally weigh my bows (hanging weight). Resistant of the pin showed 5#heavier........Art

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 04:09:51 pm »
Nothing wrong with those numbers! I watched your video and I noticed your pulley was squeaking. Oil it's pin and recheck your poundage. I used that method of weighing once and it didn't mesh up with how I normally weigh my bows (hanging weight). Resistant of the pin showed 5#heavier........Art
Good to know ...will do and thank you.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 11:02:14 am »
Forgot to add that MWirwicki helped with the heat treating of this bow at the classic this summer. Many thanks!

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 11:41:58 am »
edit your numbers.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 12:05:03 pm »
edit your numbers.
:-[ ok got it!  good call... sorry for the confussion.
51# @ 25.75  producing 163fps