Author Topic: Need dimension advice for a knuckle-dragger bow  (Read 3502 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Need dimension advice for a knuckle-dragger bow
« on: December 04, 2013, 03:08:53 pm »
I want to make an Osage bow for a gorilla-armed friend of mine.  My go-to bow design is a pyramid-style bow with flipped tips.  For my stubby arms, I like a bow around 63" n-n, 1 3/4" at fades, tapering evenly down to 3/8", pulling 60 lbs or so at 26".  I'd like to make this same style bow for him.

He has a 31" draw, and I'd like it to end up around 60 lbs.  So, basically, I want to make a longer version of my usual bow.  The question is, how long?  Also, should I make it wider at the fades?

Thanks for any advice.

-Tom

Offline Wooden Spring

Re: Need dimension advice for a knuckle-dragger bow
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 03:12:25 pm »
start with a 66" NTN length bow for a 28" draw, then adjust the bow 2" for every 1" of draw length over 28"
In other words, if he's drawing at 31" then he needs a 72" bow.
As to the width, I'm not familiar with Osage, so hopefully someone who is can chime in on that.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 04:00:04 pm »
tom, so your buddy has a 31" draw but what is he shooting with this long draw, for instance I have a shorter draw length with a bendy bow than I do with one of those big handled glass bows
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 04:31:50 pm »
Bub - he shoots a compound (with a release) at 31".   

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 04:33:01 pm »
He has a 29" selfbow draw, max. I pulled 29-29.5 on wheels and mostly 27-28 on sticks.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 04:36:31 pm »
"compound bow"

Hey, that just reminded me... I was in a big box store the other day looking for a cheap shooting tab, and a salesman, who was a self-proclaimed "avid bowhunter" asked if he could help me. Since I was under a rack of about 100 or so compound bows I looked up and said "Yeah, I gotta question, do the training wheels come off of the bow when you learn how to shoot straight?" His response... Well, I've never heard some of those words before! And my wife quietly excused herself pretending not to know me.  :laugh: I didn't stop laughing for a week over that one!
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline dbb

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 04:37:26 pm »
Was just about to say the same as PD
I shot compounds ages ago and was at 31" now on trad or primitive i draw between 28 and 29"
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 05:04:24 pm »
Glad I got that advice.  Thanks, Pearl Drums!

It's been so long since I shot a wheelie, that didn't occur to me.  So I guess I'll make it 68" n2n and aim for 60# at 29".

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 05:10:29 pm »
Osage at 29" is fine around 64-66" ntn, plenty fine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 05:38:11 pm »
  If he is used to 60# on a compound I would drop it down 5# for a self bow unless he feels ok with 60.

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 05:46:20 pm »
+1 with Badger - He might want to try drawing/shooting a longbow or recurve of that weight first. My ginormous 28-32 year old nephews struggle shooting a 52# longbow more than 3-4 times.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 06:02:29 pm »
Steve - he normally shoots 70# on a compound, and he's pretty darn strong.  That's why I think he can manage 60# on a longbow.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 06:10:15 pm »
  I used to shoot 70 with a compound but had to drop down to 55 with a self bow.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 06:16:57 pm »
I easily shoot a 70lb compound but have to drop to 55 for a longbow at 28. Remember he will draw a bow back farther than the average person.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 07:08:15 pm »
yeah he drew 70# on a compound that breaks over at what about 20" and drops 70%after that, ever watch most of these guys draw, most can barely get it to the break, just a suggestion but try and get a cheap used glass bow, the soild glass will work, just keep it around and when you go to figure out someones draw length put a clip on the arrow and have them draw it, saves you having someone that doesn't know about wood bows from yanking it back and breaking your bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹