Author Topic: Tiller help?  (Read 5952 times)

Offline BigWapiti

Tiller help?
« on: December 15, 2007, 05:44:55 pm »
Worked most all this morning tillering what is hoped to be my first shootable bow.  Vine maple, going for 50# @ 28".  Right now, i'm about 40# at 18".  The original 'tree' was only about 2" in diameter - after I split it in half I realized the handle wasn't going to be deep enough so I'm trying out a glued on piece of hardwood.  seems to be working ok.

But I have had the tillering going very well for quite some time, then as I braced it higher (from 3" to 5" at the handle) I started noticing that the brace height out in the limbs were going awry (shorter on one side than the other).  There has always been a crook in the upper limb that I've had to deal with - it was going fine for a while...

Curious,
First, where you would be shaving to even the limbs out again, considering the pictures below (pardon the poor quality and background).

Second, if, say, the string height at the handle is 5", bottom limb 12" in from tip is say, 3" and the top is 4" -- which limb would you be shaving to even things out...

I've been staring at this trying to get it figured out and its not coming clear to me.  Left limb seems as if it needs bending more, with a hinge developing about 3" below the handle.  This is a bit of a snakey stave too.

Ideas?  He'p?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mike B.
Central Washington State
"Take a kid hunting, it'll make a WORLD of difference" -me

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Tiller help?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 07:46:07 pm »
Hey BW, I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. But the first thing that catches my eye is maybe a hinge right out of the fade on left limb. I wouldn't pull it any more till I got that whole limb bending a little more evenly, then get the other limb to match.
 Some of the experts will chime in soon - usually a little slower around here on weekends ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 07:55:54 pm »
Have to agree cowboy, its bending too much on the left limb at the fade. Be careful there. I think
that dip on the right limb is causing it to be stiff at that point. Patience is necessary at this point.
Wait for someone with more experience to chime in. Looks like you have a challengeing stave there
and should end up with a real sweet bow.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 08:16:42 pm »
Get both limbs bending mid limb on. All the bending is happening at the end of the fades.  Check my site. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 08:18:23 pm »
At the risk of being redundant, -same thing. Work that left limb down first, stay away from the area where its bending too much. After you get the hinge unhinged and the limb bending evenly, you should be in pretty good shape.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 08:24:21 pm »
  Everybody has already said it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 10:47:51 pm »
Thanks all - much appreciated.  This used to be so relaxing - I'm suddenly stressing.  Will let you know as I progress...  Thanks again.
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 01:33:05 am »
Removing the flat spot on the rt. limb just out of the fade will help relieve the pressure on the hinged left limb.  I would work this area first.
Mark

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 02:47:15 am »
BW,

Vine maple is a tough wood to start with given all the bumps, swirls and whoop-dee-doos. I broke four vine maple bows in a row before I got my first shooter. Hang in there though because once you do get a feel for this wood, you can make some really sweet bows with it.

Gordon
Gordon

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 10:39:06 pm »
Did a little more work on it - thought it was looking good visually.  Cameras sure do allow you to see things that you don't see at the tree.  Or... what do you think?  I'd sure use some constructive critisism here.  That whoop on the right limb, particularly, has me pondering how to tiller it correctly.  Thanks, -Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 10:50:14 pm »
And btw, I'll be cutting about 1.5-2" off the tips, I just left them there while I work the bow so the tips don't get marred.
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 12:06:10 am »
Just off the handle of the left limb is bending more than the right. You might wqant to take the right limb down a tad more.   You are coming along nicely.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 01:41:14 am »
I was thinking the same thing Pat. I would get up closer to the fades a little and work it from there out to the last 6-7" and just bring it in for a comfortable landing and let it catch up to the other side. It looks as if you adjusted well on the hinge. I liked the way Hillbilly said to " unhinge the hinge" he said it so succently and it appears that you have executed the move nicely.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline BigWapiti

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 03:54:35 am »
Thanks guys, I'll give that right limb some more work.

So, the tips... how do they look for proper bend?
Mike B.
Central Washington State

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 07:16:19 am »
What Pat said.Looking better tho. :) What you been doing is working.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good