Author Topic: had to finish off a struck deer  (Read 4178 times)

Offline osage outlaw

had to finish off a struck deer
« on: December 01, 2013, 10:24:43 pm »
On the way home from work tonight I came upon a deer flopping in the road a few miles from my house.  I pulled over and checked it out.  It was a button buck that was hit pretty bad.  Both front legs were broken and there was damage to its head.  Another car pulled over and a woman gets out and asks if I'm OK.  I explained that I wasn't the one that hit it but I wanted to put it out of its misery and get it out of the road.  She asked if I had a gun and I didn't because I let my concealed carry license expire.  I got out my pocket knife and told her she might not want to stick around to see what was about to happen.  She said she was an EMT and it wouldn't bother her.  I grabbed the button buck by the ear to steady it and it didn't move.  I made the cut and the deer flipped out.  It kicked me hard in the hand that was holding the knife.  The EMT lady saw what happens and sees my hand has blood all over it and thinks that I had cut my hand open.  Luckily I didn't.  We stood there a while until we thought the deer was dead.  I tapped it a few times and it didn't move.  I started dragging it off the road and it came to and kicked me across the shoulder and chest.  We backed off and waited until we were sure it was done.  I drug it off the road and looked it over.  I was going to take it home for the meat but it was hit pretty hard.  I decided to just leave it.  When I got home and into the light I saw that I had blood all over my legs, shoes, and hand.  I started cleaning up and realized my pocket knife had been broke when the deer kicked my hand.  The handle had cracked in two places near the slot.  Man was I ticked off.  I've carried that knife for 12 years.  Its a Gerber EZ out.  I traded a switch blade to a coworker for it.  I'm going to try and super glue it back together.  Maybe I can get a little more use out of it.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline RyanR

Re: had to finish off a struck deer
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 10:36:05 pm »
That sucks. If you ever have to finish one off again try to just poke it in the ribs. Works really good..just like a broad head to the lungs and you dont have to get near the neck. They let you do this easier. I have done this several times and it works really good. Actually had to run one down before >:D.

Offline DQ

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 10:45:10 pm »
Yep, you know where the heart is. Easy and clean with a pocket knife.  I feel that cutting the throat is messy and disrespectful of one of God's best creatures.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 10:56:47 pm »
I wasn't sure if I could reach the heart with the length of the blade.  I thought the throat would be a quicker end than hitting a single lung. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 11:36:18 pm »
I hope you are OK Clint. I've see someone get beat up by a spike and it wasn't pretty.
 Call Gerber. They might replace or repair your knife.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:51:02 am »
Good humane act! And the antis say we don't care about the animals we hunt???

Glad you didn't get tore up. Deer can slice you up with their hooves in a second.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 08:02:05 am »
Good deed to do,I would get the carry permit renewed. ;)  :) Never liked trying to finish them with a knife. :) 1 bullet between the ears and it's a done deal.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Greenman1867

• Greenman's Hearth & Homestead
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 08:02:26 am »
I have had to do the same before with wounded animals. Good job and I am glad you didnt get hurt too badly. Those hooves can be deadly.

IMO Throat cutting is the most humane way to dispatch if you can be sure to get it done quickly and completely. I can see how a pocket knife might make it a little tough, but you got it done.
Complete and utter primitive archery rookie.......

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 09:08:04 am »
I've been there Clint, done the same thing, but didn't get kicked.  :o Against the law in Indiana though. another  :o dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 09:22:41 am »
I stick them in the chest, it collapses their lungs and they go quickly, one quick jab is all it takes.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 10:38:35 am »
Good job Clint, I would have done the same.Glad to hear your OK, hope you can get your knife replaced.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Marks

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 12:27:31 pm »
Good job. Do what you gotta do.  I bet the backstraps wouldn't have been damaged ;)

My dog caught a pig once and I dispatched him with a .380 pocket pistol I carry. I put it right against his cranium. Blood splattered all in my face :o. Wasn't a pleasant experience but it got the job done. Next time I'll stand back a few feet. I've done several pigs in the heart with a bowie knife and it is pretty quick.

Dispatching an animal by hand is not a pleasant experience but needs to be done from time to time. When I was a kid I shot a dove off the powerline with my BB gun. The BB lodged in the breast but didn't kill the dove. I couldn't bring myself finish it off so I got the BB out and kept it in a crate with corn and water for a while then let him go. Looking back I doubt highly that the bird ever lived and probably suffered greatly from my actions but I didn't know any better at the time. Often times the difficult choice is the right choice. You have to be prepared to carry out that choice.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 12:39:27 pm »
Good job, Clint. A hammer works good, too. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 12:41:36 pm »
...as does a Jeep!   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 04:53:49 pm »
Now who would use a jeep.... :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.