Author Topic: My first Molly ,KCT, tiller check please. ( new pics )  (Read 12431 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: My first Molly ,KCT, tiller check please. ( new pics )
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 10:16:35 pm »
way to go ...we have those things in western ky ...watch out Pearl there comin    :) :)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 11:01:17 pm »
Man, armidillos are tough things. I shot one behind the shoulder with a broadhead, it ran off and I shot it with 2 blunts one in the back and one in the head region and it broke off all 3 arrows and went into its hole. These were carbon arrows out of a 45# fiberglass bow.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline Poggins

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2013, 12:10:56 am »
The only beef I have with the dillers is their digging , for some reason they think the only grubs around to dig for is in my food plot or yard ( can get rough on a mower ) , they are like miniature hogs root'n up everything .

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 12:38:02 am »
Nice bow and congratulations on that possum in a half shell >:D...and the fish!!!! Wow
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

mikekeswick

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2013, 04:36:13 am »
That's some fish!!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2013, 04:44:21 pm »
  Nice job on corrections. Love the grain and the way the belly side looks, profile is nice...Would love to see finished pics of the skins.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Poggins

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2013, 07:15:52 pm »
The skins are my next project , getting the copperheads ready for the levers.
Have had messed up hours at work or I would be glueing the spoonbill skins this evening .
Should be able to get the skins on this week( need to before anymore bad weather gets here ) , I've put over fifty arrows through it before the diller .

Thanks all for the help .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2013, 10:49:36 pm »
Got the skins on this evening , love the way it looks .
I didn't rap the skins with anything , I just stayed with it to make sure the sides stayed down and worked the skins around to get any air out and heavy glue pockets that formed when I worked the rinkels out . I just soaked the skins enough to make them pliable enough to get the skins to lay down good around a couple of nots on one limb .
With the darker TBIII I didn't stain the back so the natural dark to light fade in the skins will show , they are darker at the grip and slowly fade towards the tips , there are some lines that can still be seen in the skins from the fishing line when the fish rolled in the line when I cought it , adds character to it .
I'll let it set a day or two then clean the sides up .

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 11:00:43 pm »
Really like those skins

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 11:07:50 pm »
Those skins are super cool. I love the dark color

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 11:24:33 pm »
Nice job Poggins. Looking good from here. The spoonbill skins are a nice uniquness to it. There was someone on here a couple years back from out west that was doing sturgeon skins. Keenan maybe but they got it figured out when it comes to oil removal. I would send him a PM and ask him to post something on processing fish skins and getting em de oiled. I have yet to do a molly but I'm impressed with your KCT. That grain sure jumps when you heat treat it. Look forward to seeing this one in person come March.
 JonW has done several mollys, he says that its like having two sets of fades and that you tiller from both. I always thought I would keep that in mind when I did mine.
 Dillers are shoot on site around here for the same reason your shootin em. I've killed 5 of em with field points and blunt force trauma to the head when they hunker down in some rocks. Lost a couple more into their dens but they were hit hard an were'nt coming out with that arrow sticking in em.Quarting away right behind the front shield and the reticulated section works pretty good. I figure to try a head shot next time, when they got their heads burried rootin you can stalk up to about 5yds if yer in the woods.  I hear they eat alot of it south of the border. That myth about em carrying leprosy has most non starving gringo folk  afraid to eat em( they make good lab subjects for it but are'nt carriers unless they escape from the lab). I have'nt gotten hungry enough yet to try it but I suppose if'n I walked up on someones fire and they was cooking some I would give it a go. The one I skinned out of its shell had nice pink meat, kinda like pork. Heck bbq sauce makes everything taste good. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Poggins

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 11:48:05 pm »
Thanks Danny , I think I got the oil out , took plenty of Dawn soap and acetone but I think I'm in good shape . This bow is for the OSS 2014 bow trade , I will be handing it over to its new owner at the banquet , I'll try and get another started as soon as I can and hopefully have it at OJAM , maybe the new owner will have this one at OJAM .
Working with the spoonbill skins has been an eye opener , I'll try and get as many skins from friends that go after them and maybe have some for trade in the future .
I'll bet there will be some wanting to try a Molly at OJAM or the campout so I'd better try and get a few more under my belt , just need to get the tillering down pat , we like to get as many people shooting their bows in a day or two after they start one . Most of the bows built there are osage bows but you see other wood from time to time .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 01:10:36 pm »
Ok , bad weather and holiday out of the way so I can try and finish this bow up.

This bow has been a good one to learn on , I've been doing several things with this one that I've never done before . The first that I've put skins of any kind on and I'm putting both fish skins and snake skins on , and the first time I've put tip overlays on , thin antler ( second try I got a good set of overlays , messed up when getting my first set ready , tried to get the tip shape first , now after super glueing this set on I'm glad I left them large , they stuck down fast with no time for adjustment and almost stuck my fingers to the bow).
I've got the tips done and getting the copperhead skins ready for the levers , also used a peace of the spoonbill skin for the arrow pass .
In the photo of the tips with the snake skin on them they are not glued yet , I was getting them ready and layed them on the bow the way I had pictured in my head and snapped pics while I was there , I think they are going to look good across the back and down the sides , if they where wider I might have even wrapped them all the way ( if I had thought of it I might have but would have waisted some skin that I saved back for later ).

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2013, 01:26:44 pm »
Looks great...Keep us updated.  :)
DBar

Offline Poggins

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2013, 01:44:19 pm »
Thanks , I'm still a little over three pounds above my target weight which is good , I have put close to two hundred arrows through it since I've started shooting it , my draw is 25" but the bow is for a bow trade and the specks given to me were for 28" so I've been putting it on the tillering tree and exercising it to its full draw length , I've tried to pull it to the full draw length while shooting but I have trouble keeping on my bag target ( ruined a couple arrows doing it ).
Should get the copperhead skins on this afternoon let it set for a couple days while the glue dries good , some final sanding and ready to seal it all up .
Been kicking the thought around of glueing some pigmy rattler skins to some leather for the grip ., just to stay with the whole fish and snake skin deal.